Refused test strips o anyone successfully challenged this?

Sarah-b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone been refused test strips by their surgery and successfully challenged the decision?

Due to my last HBA1c being raised I’ve been testing my blood sugar to try and acertain how foods affect me. I’ve been using the strips I got on prescription about six months ago.

I requested more and the practice have refused. I emailed stating the NICE guidelines:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG66

On page 7 Key priorities for implementation
Offer structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review. Inform people and their carers that structured education is an integral part of diabetes care.
Offer self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education. Discuss its purpose and agree how it should be interpreted and acted upon.

Pages 12 to 13 - Self-monitoring of plasma glucose

1.4.2 Self-monitoring of plasma glucose should be available:

• to those on insulin treatment
  • to those on oral glucose-lowering medications to provide information on hypoglycaemia
  • to assess changes in glucose control resulting from medications and lifestyle changes
  • to monitor changes during intercurrent illness
  • to ensure safety during activities, including driving.
I stated that as I am taking medication to lower glucose, I am currently making lifestyle changes and as I drive, I believe that I am entitled to be prescribed test strips for the machine I was given by the practice.

Today someone phoned to reiterate I cannot have any strips. I asked do they not have to follow NICE guidelines to which she got a bit shirty, said she’s not medically trained and she knows nothing about any guidelines. She’s getting the diabetic nurse to call me on Friday.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stated that as I am taking medication to lower glucose, I am currently making lifestyle changes and as I drive, I believe that I am entitled to be prescribed test strips for the machine I was given by the practice.

Which glucose lowering medications are you taking? Your profile says diet only.

Well done for challenging, and I wish you luck. You may need it! ;)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought one and when the DN saw what I was doing, she gave me one of their meters and a prescription for 100 strips per month. That's not nearly enough for the amount I am testing at the moment. I am fairly sure these will stop in due course.

I will continue to test even if I am told I'm cured, but maybe not so much.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Any type2 not on Insulin are lucky if they can get test strips on prescription.
I self fund because my surgery won,t issue me with any. Reason being, am not on Insulin and giving every type2 test strips is too expensive.
Though I do feel every diabetic should get test strips. I would be willing to pay for the prescription

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are on glucose reducing drugs, typically something like Gliclazide, then you MUST test before you drive. However if you are on anything I suspect it's Metformin which isn't a glucose reducing drug, but reduces insulin resistance slightly. So that's the first thing that needs to be cleared up: what are you taking?