Refused test strips

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Well today I had my review with the diabetic nurse and took a prescription card to request test strips for my new Contour next one monitor... and was point blankly told NO you can't have these as they are too expensive and not on Fife's approved list, I explained this new meter has an app that shows graphs of results and highlights highs and lows and the strips have a "second chance" feature in case of errors. Every aspect I brought up she said sorry I agree with you but you won't get them. Grrrr so annoyed, they expect us to take resposability for our diabetes management but refuse to give us the tools to do so.
She did say she could give me one of the free approved monitors think it was called True something. But said it was not as detailed as the Asensia countour next,no app or support.
Has anyone had this happen and what can we do? Yes I am prepared to buy my own but I think it is disgraceful that budget restraints stop us getting the support we need.

Reactions: rayhigginson

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can find good deals on Contour Next strips on ebay of all places. I buy a two to four hundred at a time. Just make sure you get the right ones, there a two types usually available.

Reactions: Hpetal

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
I use a true you meter, maybe crude but is a regular hab1c or what ever the test is called a guide for accuracy and enabling people to draw better conclusions ?

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Yep, that's the little beast.
I been thinking which rare in its self, but so many variables affect your blood sugar reading that perhaps all we should be doing is using these reading as a guide looking for trends. Relying on the hab1c ( what ever it's called ) test for accuracy.
Things that affect my blood sugar readings are in no particular order. 1 time the test is taken. 2 what and when I've eaten. 3 medication I've taken. 4 exercise and so on. I suppose the point I'm trying to make is don't fixated on these daily readings. Get out and live life treating diabetes as an inconvenience.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
The cheapest and most popular meter used by a lot on this forum is the SD Codefree from homehealth. This is because the strips are the cheapest to self fund and there discount codes for bulk purchases.. see here
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98
The strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips. For the bulk discount on strips for the SD Codefree, you need to complete the order (check the boxes to confirm that you are diabetic and the number of packs that you want). Then click on view basket and on the left hand side of the window you will see two boxes .. Coupon Code and Apply Coupon. Enter the relevant discount code in the first box and then click the Apply Coupon box. This applies the discount and adjusts the price .. and finally, you then proceed to checkout

What are you all trying to achieve by testing? It's usually best to proceed in a structured manner.
FBG when you first get up in the morning
Then before and 2 hours after meals to see if what you have eaten has caused a BS spike so you can adjust what you eat accordingly. That way you'll get the most benefit from testing. As you have said its more trends than absolutes although its usually best to aim for a rise of less than 2 mmol/l after a meal (or if you want to be very strict like me less than 1 mmol/l post prandial).

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can get all the graphs you need by typing the readings from any meter into one of many blood suger tracking apps. So how much is it worth to you, so you don't need to type in a number?

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Things that affect my blood sugar readings are in no particular order. 1 time the test is taken. 2 what and when I've eaten. 3 medication I've taken. 4 exercise and so on. I suppose the point I'm trying to make is don't fixated on these daily readings. Get out and live life treating diabetes as an inconvenience.
That's why some of us measure at the beginning 3x for one meal: before, 1h after and 2h after - to catch the glycemic curve. After some time, when we know the impact of specific meal, you can measure before and 2h after just to be sure. For each measurement we set the targets and are trying to be inside this targets.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Thanks for all your comments, my issue isn't what make the meter is, it is the fact of being refused point blank that I can not have the strips on prescription. why should i be forced into using a meter given to me when i already have a meter ? If I lived in the ajoining NHS authority to Fife I would be able to get them, it is the inequality and restraints of budgeting. As far as I am aware the Asensia contour one is the only one with the second chance sample strips therefore cutting down on wasting strips when meters show error messages. it's a wait and see!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Each area sets up their own contracts with the meter makers, they get a large discount on the cost of the strips by agreeing to only use one make of meter. The NHS gets most meters for free, as the money is made on the strips.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your comments, my issue isn't what make the meter is, it is the fact of being refused point blank that I can not have the strips on prescription. why should i be forced into using a meter given to me when i already have a meter ? If I lived in the ajoining NHS authority to Fife I would be able to get them, it is the inequality and restraints of budgeting. As far as I am aware the Asensia contour one is the only one with the second chance sample strips therefore cutting down on wasting strips when meters show error messages. it's a wait and see!
I imagine it is the cost, pure and simple. They gave me a basic monitor, I bought a super duper one but have to pay for the strips for it myself, I don't think I can moan about that really. They do provide strips for the one they gave me so I use theirs mostly and my own one pretty much languishes in a drawer. Should people really expect to receive a more expensive option when the basic one does what it needs to?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What percentage of strips are you wasting to make that a useful feature? I use a TEE2 meter which needs a very small blood sample and I only waste maybe 1% of the strips.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
average test 6 times a day and probably at least 1 has to be redone due to error on the old meter I have been using ( normal contour) It is also the newer model contour one has an app and smart light system to intantly see highs and lows via bluetooth, technology is moving on and it would be a great way to share results with healthcare professionals. Feel more in control of managing my BS as I really had a case of diabetic burnout where I was so fed up I stopped all my medication for 3 months and the GP or DN didn't even question me not putting in repeat prescriptions for medication. then when I make the choice to start afresh they try to alter my meter choice. Just feel diabetic education for self management goes out the window sometimes. Still waiting for the practice pharacist to ring me to argue my case with her, as apparently she has the say so on who gets what.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well today I had my review with the diabetic nurse and took a prescription card to request test strips for my new Contour next one monitor... and was point blankly told NO you can't have these as they are too expensive and not on Fife's approved list, I explained this new meter has an app that shows graphs of results and highlights highs and lows and the strips have a "second chance" feature in case of errors. Every aspect I brought up she said sorry I agree with you but you won't get them. Grrrr so annoyed, they expect us to take resposability for our diabetes management but refuse to give us the tools to do so.
She did say she could give me one of the free approved monitors think it was called True something. But said it was not as detailed as the Asensia countour next,no app or support.
Has anyone had this happen and what can we do? Yes I am prepared to buy my own but I think it is disgraceful that budget restraints stop us getting the support we need.
I was supplied the True You meter by my GP (Lanarkshire) and found it dreadful. Apart from the fact that the batteries kept falling out it did not give me nearly enough information. I too have a contour next one and brought my HbA1c down from 60 to 50 and finally persuaded my GP to prescribe the relevant test strips. Mind you I only get about 100 a month and self fund the rest as I use at least 50 a week. I totally agree about not getting the tools you need to save the NHS money in the long run.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Update, today my diabetic nurse has offered me a "similar" meter with a bluetooth/downloadable app that is on the NHS Fife list which means I would get the test strips on prescription! it is a Glucomen Areo. she said google it to see if I would consider it. she is going to ring me on Tuesday so what do others think? should I try it?

Reactions: Alison Campbell