Regaining Weight

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The weight loss is not all fat, as your body can't use the glucose in the blood stream it breaks down the fat and then it starts to eat into the muscle, thats where the weakness comes from. Most T1s are ravenous once insulin is reintroduced, your body has been starving for weeks and now the 'system' is back on line and working it sets about regaining whats it's lost. Don't worry about weight gain it will happen! (I also was 12st pre T1, dropped to 9st, and put it back on with out a problem)

Reactions: mountaintom

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The weight loss is not all fat, as your body can't use the glucose in the blood stream it breaks down the fat and then it starts to eat into the muscle, thats where the weakness comes from. Most T1s are ravenous once insulin is reintroduced, your body has been starving for weeks and now the 'system' is back on line and working it sets about regaining whats it's lost. Don't worry about weight gain it will happen! (I also was 12st pre T1, dropped to 9st, and put it back on with out a problem)

Yes I am ravenous. Just come back from hospital check up with the diabetic nurse and I’ve gained 1kg since discharge which was Thursday last. I am obsessed with almonds now. Thanks everybody for the advice this is such a great community!
I am feeling stronger every day.
Have a prescription for statins however that I must begin. I’m hoping this doesn’t interfere too much with appetite or well being. Triglycerides are through the roof.
Thanks again everybody.
T

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry about weight gain it will happen!

As long as it stops happening at a reasonable point that is fine but I would rather gain some of the muscle back than just gain fat. Normally that would be fine, that would be going running and being in shape but I can't really do that. So I am a bit worried what I am going to end up looking like.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as it stops happening at a reasonable point that is fine but I would rather gain some of the muscle back than just gain fat. Normally that would be fine, that would be going running and being in shape but I can't really do that. So I am a bit worried what I am going to end up looking like.

You'll end up like Violet Beauregarde in Charlie and the Chocolate factory! :p

Why can't you do that?

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hey,

I have seen your posts in other threads and understand everything seems like a lost cause at the moment. I'm not going to give you a motivational speech or say that everything is going to be exactly the same as before. What I can say is, before diagnosis in October, I was a very keen gym goer, I would be weight lifting 3-5 times a week, taking supplements and I was doing my very most to look the best I could.

One thing I noticed after diagnosis, although I want to look good, without question, I will put feeling good above it any day of the week. Do I now need to make myself run a 5-10k because it's the thing to do? Deadlift that extra 50kg? No. I'll go at my own pace, stop when I want to stop, start when I want to and although pushing myself....not near as much pressure on myself as before diagnosis.

The key is to start back extremely slow. Even a small walk 2-3 times a day, maybe 1km at a time. Build yourself up. Saturday was the first time I went on a threadmill in months, and I only ran 1km, the same yesterday and some weights in as well. It may not be the height of where I was at, but I felt better after it.

Be kind to yourself.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @mountaintom, I think there’s another post on the site about high triglycerides and how to reduce them. It’s hard at first, especially when all the LDL food beckons. I remember I ate a mountain of cheese after I was diagnosed - asked people to bring it into the hospital as there was never enough food on a plate to satisfy my body’s need to replace all that lost weight. We weren’t alerted to triglycerides back then, so many more things to consider now!
I’m trying to remember how long it was before any kind of energy returned. The first delight was realising I could walk some distance without having to stop for a rest; I think it was about six months.
Like @JoeT1 says, build yourself up bit by bit - it’ll return. Your body’s had a battering but it’ll recover.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm not going to recover am I... If there was any getting better from this it would be bearable.

Triglycerides? Is this something else I haven't been told about?

Why are the medical people so rubbish? Why don't they tell you all the information? It's making me question everything twice, I have never distrusted medicine before but it makes you wonder if they know anything at all.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm not going to recover am I... If there was any getting better from this it would be bearable.

Why are the medical people so rubbish? Why don't they tell you all the information? It's making me question everything twice, I have never distrusted medicine before but it makes you wonder if they know anything at all.

Why the hell wouldn't you recover?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't think you'll "recover" back to where you were a few years ago, but I do think you need to start to work up the exercise to force your metabolism to deal with it. I am carb happy in the mornings and barely need any insulin because of exercise - but it took me weeks to stop feeling like I had legs of jelly. I have no idea how people exercise without carbs in their diet though (just scoffed a mocha and bacon sandwich).

Ignore the statins stuff. One more thing to worry about and if the doctors were worried they'd be bullying you into taking them by now!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Going from 12st to just over 9 is major loss. I had very similar symptoms last year (but just 1st)

I believe if you continue with your current diet (i.e same carbs) your BG will stay the same if you ADD foods from a LCHF diet sheet (preferably protein rich). LCHF diets only work if you restrict carbs.

As you won’t be adding hardly any more carbs and by NOT restricting your carbs from present values you should put weight on without major BG levels affected.

In other words; have some bacon with your egg. You may need to be sure your taking enough vitamin D.

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going from 12st to just over 9 is major loss. I had very similar symptoms last year (but just 1st)

I believe if you continue with your current diet (i.e same carbs) your BG will stay the same if you ADD foods from a LCHF diet sheet (preferably protein rich). LCHF diets only work if you restrict carbs.

As you won’t be adding hardly any more carbs and by NOT restricting your carbs from present values you should put weight on without major BG levels affected.

In other words; have some bacon with your egg. You may need to be sure your taking enough vitamin D.
Not necessarily, the OP mentioned they wanted to start exercising; as exercise allows your body to use glucose without the need for insulin this is probably not the best strategy. It also means that there's a good chance your body will need to synthesise glucose from protein. Also, excess protein needs to be filtered by the kidneys which may already be under strain from glucose levels... So it's all a balancing act!

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What am I going to do grow a new pancreas.

You haven't had it ripped out of you. It's still there. Sure, it doesn't work like it used to, but you can most definitely still get up off the couch and work towards goals and achievements. Jay Cutler and American Footballer was playing at the top level with T1 Diabetes, Steve Redgrave.....and forget these people, look at the numerous T1's on here that are still and continue to exercise regularly and achieve massive fitness goals that they actually didn't before being diagnosed.

More importantly, it's good for your mental health. I'm not sure how much more I can try to support or give any sort of advice. It's difficult, I know that more than most, but get out of the house and start with a small walk, breathe in some air and stretch. Stretching is just as important as the running. It gives you the ability to feel looser and better, meaning your body isn't tight and is again, good for mental health.

Reactions: karen8967

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not here for your support or advice. As far as I know you haven't been doing this much longer than I have. I would be the first to accept that I am the world's worst diabetic on the basis that I am not really a proper diabetic, I am not one of the people who got it when they were 10 or whatever and know everything. You may be brilliant at it, fine, that's great for you, from my perspective though the harder I try the worse the results are and nothing I ever do will be good enough. No argument. I am never going to be any good at this. I would not hold myself up as an example to others.

You can list rock stars all you want. I am never going to be an american footballer and I have no desire to be. I just want to go for a run, and I can't. I have tried endlessly, I can barely make it to the end of the street and it has not improved in weeks.

It is not surprising really, I feel exactly as I would expect to feel under the circumstances. I am sick, I would expect to feel sick. I dare not eat carbs so I wouldn't expect to be able to run anyway. And yes, I am fully aware of the psychological side of all this, that is the main reason I want to run in the first place, it's the main reason I ever did. Being stuck here like an unwilling couch potato is the worst thing about it. I fully accept that I now am a third rate human being and that isn't going to change.

If I'm supposed to somehow be all happy and chirpy under these circumstances I am sorry to disappoint you with my poor mental health. I have a memory which still works fine, I know what life should be like.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@mountaintom you'll regain the weight now that you've got insulin to help your body fully utilise the food you eat. But you've a great opportunity now to eat well to make them 2.5 healthy stones you add!

Go slowly with the exercise, your body has been and is still going through a big shock.

@NoKindOfSusie I think is right in that we're never going to be exactly the same as before overall. However, exercise should be a part of life where there should be little difference in your performance before and after, assuming you have no significant complications. (Acknowledging there is a lot more faff as you need your glucose and testing kits, to plan it in around meals / taking insulin).

My marathon PB before T1 was 3hr 38mins... post it is 3hrs 26mins. But I definitely could not have done that within early months of diagnosis, I couldn't run then either!

Or current England Rugby Union player Henry Slade, age 24 (diagnosed T1 at 18). He seems to still be able to run around for 80 mins... he also has the added problem of 120kg opposition players repeatedly try and smash him into the ground on his runs!

Point taken that you don't want to be an England Rugby player, but isn't he of a similar age to you now and was also diagnosed as an adult?

Exercise will help your mindset, but also improve your blood sugars and lower your insulin requirements. Win / Win / Win.

Putting aside diabetes, if you were previously active but then didn't do any exercise for a few months you'd be feeling gross regardless. And if you did try it it would be horrible as all your muscles would have atrophied, your cardio fitness would have long gone. That's also at work here.

Well done for trying to run. Maybe you tried to soon originally.

If you're going through hell, keep going!

AndyRob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tom,

Your story is very similar to mine. It took around twelve months for me to get a good grip on my BG levels so I wouldn't expect too much too soon. Take your time and don't stress about it. Fifteen months in I'm doing quite well. It will settledown for you if your reasonably sensible.

I found routine with what and when I eat has been key. I don't eat rubbish but still eat limited carbs and I've developed a good idea on how much insulin I need. However for me the real trick has been getting my basel dose right. I've done this by slowly inceasing the amount alongside my "normal" diet until I've got the BG numbers I'm looking for. Having said that there's so many variables which can effect matters, you just have to roll with it and do your best.

It's all a bit boring and frustrating at times but that's just the way it is....

Forgot to mention, I'm now putting on weight and am nearly back to where I was pre T1. A bit pee'd off to be honest as I would have liked to have kept some of it off! It will happen to you too....

All the best.

Andy

Last edited:

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Andy. Yeah I’ve a reasonably flat stomach now that hasn’t been that way since I was about 21! The beer belly vanished when the ketones came along! I’m hoping to keep it that way.
My weight is increasing very slowly and I no longer resemble a zombie.
I think I overdid it today and had to collapse in a heap on the floor when I got home!
I appreciate all the advice and goodwill everyone. Thanks.