Regular Blood Sugar Tests Compared To Hba1c

Priam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know that some people have expressed a preference for regular tests rather than a three/six monthly Hba1c test. When I was first diagnosed my Hba1c was 65, but within three months I'd reduced this to 39 following a fairly low-carb diet. The following six months it increased marginally to 42. I decided to relax the low-carb diet a little and it next rose to 48. I asked my diabetes nurse about using a monitor, and regular tests over the next three months indicated BS levels of between 5.9 and 9.2. It did on one occasion shoot up to 15.3 when I'd had a bowl of soup based on a butternut squash, followed by a jacket potatoe. So I took this as a warning and didn't indulge again. I had noticed that identical menus on different days had resulted in varying BS results, although within acceptable limits. Despite keeping with these limits, at my last Hba1c test it was 51. So I would be interested if anyone has a view on the comparison of regular BS testing and Hba1c levels. I've had annual diabetes eye and podiatry tests, which has not thrown up any problems; and my weight is maintained at eleven stone. I am fairly fit for my age, 79 and do a couple of cycle rides each week of between 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both.

Regular finger prick tests and 3 monthly HbA1c will give you the best idea of what’s happening

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Both. The finger prick test, done at the right time, will tell you what food suits you and what doesn't.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
regular tests over the next three months indicated BS levels of between 5.9 and 9.2.
How often a day do you test? Oug bg might do all kinds of things in between testing.
That said, your bg of between 5.9 and 9.2 isn't that far off from your hba1c of 51.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Doctor says he doesn't need to see me for a year so has booked me an appointment next August.

Charlie80

You need both. With hba1c you don't see the variability in bg. The a1c can be "ok" but the postprandial readings can be high without you knowing it. I think a lot of diabetics are fooled by a "good" a1c when they in reality have a high variability in daily readings (not good!).

Reactions: Prem51

Priam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How often a day do you test? Oug bg might do all kinds of things in between testing.
That said, your bg of between 5.9 and 9.2 isn't that far off from your hba1c of 51.
You need both. With hba1c you don't see the variability in bg. The a1c can be "ok" but the postprandial readings can be high without you knowing it. I think a lot of diabetics are fooled by a "good" a1c when they in reality have a high variability in daily readings (not good!).

Priam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all the replys. Impossible to test several times a day owing to cost. Also found identical meals on occasions give totallly differing results, so I'm still confused.

Charlie80

Thanks for all the replys. Impossible to test several times a day owing to cost. Also found identical meals on occasions give totallly differing results, so I'm still confused.

Yes, identical meals can give different results. I don't have diabetes but I have done a lot of experiments with the help of Libre sensors. At the evenings I seem to be a bit more insulin resistant but of course that don't apply to everyone. Then other things can affect bg as well.

If you want to be sure that you don't eat anything that will spike you, avoid sugar, rice, pasta, potatoes and bread and remember that also whole grain can spike bg. Fruit is not the best choice either.

Reactions: SaladDaze