Regular moderate exercise log

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely been a moderate exercise day - walking achieved in several half hour/twenty minutes chunks of time between rain showers.

How's the swimming been, @Polgara. I really must get a swimming costume and try it again!

Welcome to the thread, @Blacksaber .

I may not be a lot of help as I was never much into exercise prior to diabetes and have stuck to walking as my main form of exercise since - other than an occasional 20 runs up and down the stairs to get my blood sugars down if going for an hour's walk is impractical, I've also never used energy bars or exercise products.

However, it took me a quite a while to work out what worked best to balance food and walking as I tended to over-compensate when I saw lowish numbers on my meter. I do check my bloods more regularly when I'm out for longer than two hours walking and have managed to keep things less of a roller coaster lately.

Reactions: Snapsy

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How's the swimming been, @Polgara. I really must get a swimming costume and try it again!

I've been 4 times this week. It's been really enjoyable - very good for the anxiety that has put me off work. I've done more every day. Tuesday 30 lengths of a 20m pool. Wednesday 38. Thursday 46.
Friday 50. I'm back at the doctors on Monday and I'm sure that I won't be back at work for a couple of weeks yet (it's been quite a shock to me as I've come to understand this week that I'm really not very well at all) - so I'm planning on carrying on with the swimming in addition to the walking whilst I've got the time.

Last edited:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been 4 times this week. It's been really enjoyable - very good for the anxiety that has put me off work. I've done more every day. Tuesday 30 lengths of a 20m pool. Wednesday 38. Thursday 46.
Friday 50. I'm back at the doctors on Monday and I'm sure that I won't be back at work for a couple of weeks yet (it's been quite a shock to me as I've come to understand this week that I'm really not very well at all) - so I'm planning on carrying on with the swimming in addition to the walking whilst I've got the time.

Glad the swimming's helped. I unexpectedly (to the surprise of my work colleagues/line managers who all were convinced I was never ill, physically, mentally or emotionally and had to reassess a few work procedures as a result) had to have a couple of weeks off work in the autumn for similar reasons and the daily long, gentle walks helped me enormously which is why I've tried to maintain the walking at similar levels ever since.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad the swimming's helped. I unexpectedly (to the surprise of my work colleagues/line managers who all were convinced I was never ill, physically, mentally or emotionally and had to reassess a few work procedures as a result) had to have a couple of weeks off work in the autumn for similar reasons and the daily long, gentle walks helped me enormously which is why I've tried to maintain the walking at similar levels ever since.
That's me - I counted up last week and I think I've had a grand total of (up to last Monday) 14 days off sick in the nearly 24 years I've been teaching. And that includes the 8 days I took when I broke my elbow :) So this has all been a bit of a shock to the system. So glad that you are feelong better now :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's me - I counted up last week and I think I've had a grand total of (up to last Monday) 14 days off sick in the nearly 24 years I've been teaching. And that includes the 8 days I took when I broke my elbow :) So this has all been a bit of a shock to the system. So glad that you are feelong better now :)

Thank you, hopefully with some time, you will also be feeling better too!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's definitely warmer - I arrived home to decree I had to put most of what I was wearing into the washing machine and get a wash going straight away whilst I could still get it outside for a couple of hours to dry. I was so intent on this, I didn't remove Mr Doofer the Pedometer from the pocket he was clipped to.

The splendid news is that Mr Doofer the Pedometer survived the 40 minutes wash cycle. The interesting news is he reckoned he did about 1500 steps whilst he was in there.... I've decreed these unaccompanied steps of his to be in the lightweight category. I do at least 5000 steps in 40 minutes when I'm out for a walk!

I'm also deeply miffed my sacrificial clear out of two cupboards of doom and occasional de-clutter of the Organist's (that's me) main cupboard not only produced a meagre 500 steps and completely ruined Sunday's walking targets, but that I've been slightly paying for it ever since, as I succumbed to a small packet of crisps (stored in one of the cupboards of doom and nearing its eat-by date...) which I KNOW will send my bloods high and keep them there for a bit unless I walk for an hour or more, but I was hoping the energy I was expending would cancel it out. No, Japes, walking miles is your best strategy. Just remember it.

Been back on target ever since... here's hoping meals out tomorrow and Friday will be OK and companions will let me walk home afterwards.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On usual morning walk today - one boot felt rather uncomfy. Had a look when I got home and I've worn right through the sole. RIP favourite boots - will have to go and buy a new pair today instead of swimming!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On usual morning walk today - one boot felt rather uncomfy. Had a look when I got home and I've worn right through the sole. RIP favourite boots - will have to go and buy a new pair today instead of swimming!

I do dislike RIP favourite boots moment - especially as it usually means the wearing in of new boots without getting blisters when having had to get new ones in an emergency process. It's bad enough wearing new boots in when it's a planned process..

This evening's dining companion was more than willing to let me walk home... didn't even want a text to know I'd got home and I was over the moon to discover being firm about only eating to my meter, then walking for an hour has resulting in the best evening results since the crisps episode...

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not swum for two days as one ear was sore - I thought a couple of days off and it would clear up. Much worse end of yesterday and overnight so I checked on the NHS website and it says see your GP for medication or it can last weeks! Honestly - if it's not one thing it's another at the moment!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not swum for two days as one ear was sore - I thought a couple of days off and it would clear up. Much worse end of yesterday and overnight so I checked on the NHS website and it says see your GP for medication or it can last weeks! Honestly - if it's not one thing it's another at the moment!

Ouch. Definitely worth getting meds for that!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
After a whirlwind working week along with a hectic social life for once, (meals out all survived most splendidly, post meal walks all observed and all daily targets met,) I find I am lacking in enthusiasm for much more than pottering about the house and garden at the moment. Luckily, it is a beautiful day for tackling laundry and a bit of gardening to keep me moving, then hopefully I'll feel more energetic for some long walks with my days off work.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Snapsy has pulled her finger out!

The BM10k (early April) made me scared of getting hurt again, so I've done virtually no exercise since the end of April! Not even swimming! Well, perhaps a couple of bike jaunts to the pub and back.... shhhhhhhh.

Today I went to the gym to talk to a trainer about strength training for running. And while I was there I had a swim..... after which I booked my first session with the trainer - for tomorrow afternoon!

YAAAAAAAAAY!

:happy::happy::happy:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Go @Snapsy !

I am remarkably fidgety after all this rain over the last couple of days and being housebound once I'm home from work. Extra housework as a means of keeping moving is just not helping.

I'm definitely a fair weather walker so am about to take myself off out whilst the going is good. Probably a bus route walk just in case the heavens open yet again. (I did think of relinquishing my monthly bus ticket, to try to make me walk the whole commute, but there are days when I do need to get the bus to and from work for time factors and for days when I've got Stuff to get to and fro. I kept a track of it during a very good walking month, and it's still worth my keeping the bus ticket. I don't have a car...)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am remarkably fidgety after all this rain over the last couple of days
It's amazing isn't it, @Japes , how when one is used to exercising one metaphorically CLIMBS THE WALLS when it's not possible?!

I was alarmed today by my decreased fitness after my 'break'! Twelve measly lengths, and I was pooooooooped! Still, I loved it - to start with my self-imposed rest had been just that - a rest - but then that whole concept of 'exercise' became a bugbear, then a mugwump, then a monster under the bed............... and as I'm a daft so-and-so I then didn't WANT to!

So, it was such a relief to get into the pool! It wasn't my usual time of day, and because of that there were lots of chatters and walkers in the pool so it was very unthreatening - whenever I go first thing I'm trying to hold my own (doggypaddling!) with the SS (serious swimmers)!

I've really missed this thread! Glad to be back!

:happy:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whoop whoop!

First 'strength and conditioning' sesh today - loved it - am going to be v stiff tomorrow though! Had a swim afterwards.

Crack-of-dawn swim planned for tomorrow (meeting my mate by the postbox at first light, then off to the pool), then sesh two of s&c on Friday. Aiming for 2 per week, plus swimming as often as I can - and I hope to be back to running once I feel I've got some power!

Not a twinge so far from any of my previously owwy bits. Yay!

Buuuuuuuuut I forgot to halve my teatime bolus. Bit low right now. Oopsy daisy. Had completely forgotten what I tweak when exercising, it's been so long!

:)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How's it going, folks?

The weather has played havoc with my routines - I'm trying to be good and get the front garden and hedge tidier and may have to resign myself to giving up some walking time next week t do it. It's been too windy around here to be going up step ladders to finish the hedge.

But, I'm just about remaining on walking targets in between the wind and rain...

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wails with much anguish.

Yesterday was a strenuous dealing with hedge day along with taking Small Neighbour to the park (for a couple of hours wearing off of excess energy before Parent, who's not overly healthy or well at the moment, lost the plot) which I hoped would count for my evening walk. I feel well exercised after it all but my blood sugars have been stubbornly high ever since (AND this is blood taking week for Hba1c etc.)

I've determinedly stuck to small low everything meals along with lots of long-ish gentle walk today.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Personal training is going very well - this is my third week I think (twice a week), and I'm really enjoying it.

Yesterday was a KILLER! Last week we identified that the pain in my left leg is caused by never having my left foot in a straight line (revelation!) so we've been working on remembering to keep it straight and getting everything in the right place and much stronger.

Pistol squats revealed very very quickly that my right leg is tippety top and my left leg is very much the poor relation! My quads, hamstrings and glutes on the left side are agonisingly stiff today, but my right side is just dandy and pain-free! It was all I could do not to swim in circles at the pool this morning........

Soon I'll be running again, I hope. In the meantime I'm putting in loads of work on the whole 'strength and conditioning' thing. Mr S has been giving me compliments on my toned physique, although he admits to finding my shoulders and upper arms 'alarming'. Bless!

:);):angelic:

Reactions: Freema and Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's That Time of Year again - next week we have three days of sporting and other activities as a wind down to the end of term. But we are well into the three week challenge to see how many laps of our football field each group can do. This includes staff...

So, I'm treating myself to a bus ride to work so I can do my usual morning 2 miles or so upping our group's laps total. Yes, most of my colleagues who've spotted me toddling round and round the field ages before I'm really due at work are convinced in their opinion I am quite, quite obsessed by the walking. I haven't told them how many miles I'm up to this year so far...

On one of my targets I'm a little bit behind but for my main target I am well ahead of what I set for myself. Probably need to thank this particular group for this - my at work walking has probably trebled this year!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy