Relapse

SugarJunkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went sugar free 17 days ago. following a low carb high fat diet. First ten days were hell. Add in exercise for the last week and my fasting bg is down to 6 from 12+ and I've lost 7lbs.

Tonight I had four squares of dark chocolate, not low sugar. I feel like I've really let myself down but also wonder if I'm overreacting. I want to have a balanced and healthy relationship with food but it's going to take time.

Can anyone advise me on a balance? Should I get back on the wagon and resign myself to no sugar ever again? Is a few squares of dark chocolate ok? If so, how often?

I'm sure I'll find a sensible path for myself eventually but I can't ignore a lifetime of using food as an emotional crutch and I don't trust my own judgement at the moment. Is guilt ridiculous?

I feel a bit lost tbh

SugarJunkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
PS should I be stopping metformin? I've stopped glicklizide (with advice)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Based on what you've shared, you've seen some positive results in a short amount of time, but you're worried about one moment of weakness. Plus, you're already thinking about making changes to your approach (the metformin). In general, that's the kind of thinking you have to stop. You need to be in this for the long-haul. Short-term results are great, but they can quickly reverse themselves if you give up to soon.

Here's the way I think about it: if I'm following a 2-week long diet and cheat on one of those days....that's a failure. However, if I eat healthy for 13 days and have 1 day of enjoyment for the rest of my life....I can be happy with that.

Eating 4 squares of dark chocolate isn't going to ruin your life. However, the more you do it, the more it adds up.

Having a healthy relationship with food means you're able to occasionally indulge. Avoiding certain foods altogether isn't (what I'd consider) healthy.

For me, it's about working hard through the week rather than counting each day as a success or a failure. I'll occasionally take a day off from the gym, and I don't feel guilty about it because I've worked hard the other 6 days. Now, if I take 2 days off in a row, I feel guilty and I'll usually make up for it (I'm not saying you need to workout 5 days a week).

When it comes to food, I try to eat healthy on the normal days. That way when it's a friends' birthday, a holiday, or other excuse to go to a restaurant, I don't feel guilty and I can enjoy that time.

Long story short- Think about the bigger picture. You don't have to label every single meal as a success/failure.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
if it just a one off error, then it's a small blip that shouldn't even effect your long term goals, however if you it's something that may happen regularly, then you'll just be fooling yourself, maybe have a stern word with yourself, my own approach is since November I've been 100% committed to the low carb, now I've reached a point I've reach my goals, where I can add in extra food, as long as it passes the 1 & 2hr BG test, if any food that spikes my BG then its destination is the bin, the past few weeks we've cleared a lot of cupboard space.

Did you test your BGL with the chocolate? if so what were the readings.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello.
Im on Metformin 500 mg a day,I will stay on that as it has other benifits and good for the heart.
Low carb has to be a way of life but I dont call it a diet as it sounds like starvation,I can have a few carbs now that dont harm.
I also have a little dark chocolate each night.
The thing is to test as we are all different.
You have great results,keep going and all the best.

Reactions: 2 people