Type 1 Relationships

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I find it hard managing everything, and been out of work isn't helping, when in try explaining why I find it hard to family and mainly my girlfriend all I get is a awkward laugh and 'your not dying', yesterday I had a hypo at the shop I dropped a full 6 pint of milk and it went everywhere, most embarrassing thing to happen to me and now everyone's is telling people like it happened to them for sympathy or something, any one else get stuff like this because it's making me so angry, feel like I'm going to explode on them all. (Just need to vent)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
you're so so not alone -- I know I have felt exactly like you have described before

I once stood in front of the sweet aisle in a supermarket for over 30 minutes just staring at the sweets I knew I needed to eat -- but could not figure out how to actually pick anything up and take it to the till. ( can't imagine how many peeps thought I was some sort of nutter )

I think we all have our moments in managing -- but the important thing to realise is that YOU are in control -- not the DIABETES
if you can put the D in its cage -- you can get on with living and not stressing ( too much ) over the D

Reactions: Mep

Samanthakate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can totally relate to having those moments, when I'm in the middle of a meal with my boyfriends family and suddenly have a hypo (even though I'm eating) because I took my insulin too early and it's awkward and I feel like I need to leave the table to go and have some glucose, getting the balance and knowing the signs is so tricky and a lot of people won't understand! But you will know how this works and I often too feel embarrassed or angry, but you are totally not alone in this! You'll soon find a good balance!

Reactions: Mep and himtoo

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can relate. I think with all illnesses there is a lack of understanding unless people can visibly see what is wrong. Eg. If I had a cast on my leg and crutches then people know full well I've broken my leg and they have a good idea what my limitations would be. But diabetes and all my other illnesses are not visible to anyone. Some of them can be heard (eg. my voice and my chronic burping and hiccuping). But people don't relate to anything they're unfamiliar with. Since I've had diabetes I can only recall one person who correctly identified I was having a hypo. Her response was "you need to eat NOW".... probably only because I was talking to her at the time and my speech started to slur. With my other conditions that have symptoms like my chronic burping well people find that funny or rude don't they. I get stared at, laughed at, and I even get inappropriate comments at times like "excuse you". All this when I'm minding my own business and in fact have my mouth closed (which hurts me more) just trying to be polite for their sake. People have no idea what we go through with our illnesses... no idea at all about the pain and anxiety they cause. They only will know if they have it themselves or are very close to someone who has. Although your girlfriends comment of "you're not dying" is probably true she is being dismissive though of what it's like for you to deal with it. It is life threatening for us if we don't get things right. I think for me the only way I'd get help in public is if I'm unconscious and even then I may face the possibility of some uneducated person injecting my insulin into me to kill me quicker. lol. (I had someone ask me did I take my insulin when I hypo). I wish you the best. :)

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can relate. I think with all illnesses there is a lack of understanding unless people can visibly see what is wrong. Eg. If I had a cast on my leg and crutches then people know full well I've broken my leg and they have a good idea what my limitations would be. But diabetes and all my other illnesses are not visible to anyone. Some of them can be heard (eg. my voice and my chronic burping and hiccuping). But people don't relate to anything they're unfamiliar with. Since I've had diabetes I can only recall one person who correctly identified I was having a hypo. Her response was "you need to eat NOW".... probably only because I was talking to her at the time and my speech started to slur. With my other conditions that have symptoms like my chronic burping well people find that funny or rude don't they. I get stared at, laughed at, and I even get inappropriate comments at times like "excuse you". All this when I'm minding my own business and in fact have my mouth closed (which hurts me more) just trying to be polite for their sake. People have no idea what we go through with our illnesses... no idea at all about the pain and anxiety they cause. They only will know if they have it themselves or are very close to someone who has. Although your girlfriends comment of "you're not dying" is probably true she is being dismissive though of what it's like for you to deal with it. It is life threatening for us if we don't get things right. I think for me the only way I'd get help in public is if I'm unconscious and even then I may face the possibility of some uneducated person injecting my insulin into me to kill me quicker. lol. (I had someone ask me did I take my insulin when I hypo). I wish you the best. :)

I get it all the time of my family when I have a hypo its 'you need insulin' or 'you eat to much' which I actually don't. I always get annoyed and tell them to read up on stuff, learn. You never know when it can help me. But what can you do right.

Reactions: Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I get it all the time of my family when I have a hypo its 'you need insulin' or 'you eat to much' which I actually don't. I always get annoyed and tell them to read up on stuff, learn. You never know when it can help me. But what can you do right.

Yeh they don't get it. I had a hypo in front of my family once about half an hour after eating dinner with them. They asked me what are you doing when I ran to get something to treat my hypo. I replied I'm having a hypo. They said you can't be having a hypo as you just ate. ugh. (I tested first and was 3.2 from memory) Unfortunately for me it was vegetable carbs I had with the meal and I either go too high or too low with vegetable carbs for some reason... very unpredictable even when I take less insulin on purpose for it. But my family wouldn't have a clue what I'm on about. I have to admit I hate having to eat again when I've just eaten.