Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I had one of those, and I remember buying my first meter, it was a brick!! Also really expensive I paid £30 in the mid 80's for this.
xreflolux-s.mth13365_200_200.jpg.pagespeed.ic.DoU5nyg0rB.jpg

My first bg meter :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know I had completely forgotten about that diagram! All painfully coming back to me!

I'm still trying to find anyone who had been given an amazingly patronising "Janet & John" have diabetes style book. Where the girl dealt with it quite well keeping the doctor happy. & the boy would screw up big time going hypo, not eating when he should & stuff... A vague cautionary tale for us all.! ;)

Reactions: 2 people

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha ha!! No I was fortunate to have escaped such a book! Just as well really as I was a bit of a Tom Boy as a child, would have given me ideas!!

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG, I love this thred, it brought bck so many memeories many of which had forgetten about. I remebr during urine tset, I was diagnosedin 1981, the glass syringes, was it not industrial meths we had to use, not meths to keep the needles clean. Insulatard insulin which was porcine and cloudy as my basal insulin. For some reason cannot remember the blood test strips where we hd to wait for a minute before getting the results. Disposable syringes was also a big deal back in the day.

Just think in about 15 yeas or so someone may start a similar thread laughing at us using insulin pumps and pricking our fingers to test our blood sugars

Having given it some thought makes me wonder how I managed to survive the first 10/15 years with so few hypos and remain in reasonably good health

Now if we have come so far in about 35 years, what do the next 35 years have in store for us. What dramatic improvements can we see.

Personally i like the sound of the Freestyle Libre which hopefully will be available for all soon

Reactions: 6 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I'm still trying to find anyone who had been given an amazingly patronising "Janet & John" have diabetes style book. Where the girl dealt with it quite well keeping the doctor happy. & the boy would screw up big time going hypo, not eating when he should & stuff... A vague cautionary tale for us all.! ;)

I was

I've been trying to find it amongst my collection, but to no avail.

I'll try ebay and - if lucky - I'll post some pics for amnesia avenues' sake.

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Crumbs Anaelena how long have you been diabetic? I remember coming home after diagnosis (I was in hospital for two weeks) with a large brown paper bag containing bottles of urine testing sticks and frightening looking glass syringes the size of bicycle pumps! No BG meters back then. I was quite overwhelmed by it all and thought I'd never ever cope. My first meter was the size of a brick. I probably needed a suitcase to carry all the kit around! Things have changed and improved such a lot since the 'olden days'.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was

I've been trying to find it amongst my collection, but to no avail.

I'll try ebay and - if lucky - I'll post some pics for amnesia avenues' sake.

Yes please..?!
Lol I thought I might have still got mine stacked with my HR Giger Alien comic novel that I was also given as a kid because "little Jay likes spacemen." No one looked at the graphic gore fest content before handing it to me as a chrismas annual... o_O
I didn't see the actual movie for the first time till about 6 years later, when my mate had a copy on VHS. By then I knew the script word for word from the "speech bubbles" in the comic.:D