Remembering the Somme

edithh23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has been 100 years since the war of the somme in the early 1900.
2 min silence

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Just been privileged to watch the live remembrance service commemorating the start of the Somme 100 years ago at 7.30am, UK time, 1 July 1916.

Yvonne's great great Uncle Company Sgt Major William Rawley of the Royal Enniskillen Fusiliers, gave his life at the Somme that first day.

He was mentioned by General Haig for his exceptional bravery and leadership, saving men from exploding armaments.

This week we managed to get hold of one of the 19,240 (the number of British soldiers killed the first day) brassy poppy lapel badges, made from original Somme munitions with the soil taken from the Somme and mixed into the red enamel at the centre of the poppy.

A fitting commemoration that I am sure will be treasured by our family, hopefully for generations to come.

Do you have a story of courage and bravery from friends and family across the conflicts that have shaped our nations?

Reactions: 3 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My maternal Gt uncle died at Montauban de Picardie with 106 bgde RFA, on 16 Aug 1916. his grave was never concentrated in 1920 so he is remembered at Theipval.
RIP Gunner 61253 Thomas Ferguson

Reactions: 3 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
We also have a first lieutenant killed in the early days of the pre RAF in the First World War, another Rawley family member who was injured and award with a medal of honour in the Second World War, all on my wife's side.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
image.png

My family lost fathers, sons and brothers at the Somme and indeed in both world wars - today as on others I give heartfelt felt gratitude and remembrance to those that have gone before us enabling us as a nation to be free to be able to have our voice like we did last week - let rememberance unite us as it should

Reactions: 5 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of my Great-granddads fought and survived the Somme, having joined up underage after his older brother had been killed at Ieper (Ypres) in 1915. All 4 of my Great-Granddads served, but he is the only one I know any details of.

Reactions: 4 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! Ww1 was one of the worst wars in history, and I'm not sure there's a family in the UK whose family was not touched by it. My paternal grandfather received medical treatment on the battle field at Ypres (not a battle wound but a medical condition that required surgery) and fortunately survived, or else I wouldn't be here as my father was born nine years after the end of WW1.

My heart goes out to all those whose lives the various battles of WW1 touched. We must and we WILL remember them.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is particularly sad about the First World War is the lack of sensible tactics from those in charge. So many died needlessly. Totally tragic and I get upset every time I think of it. We seem to commemorate WW2 at the drop of a hat, but until now those who suffered in WW1 have largely been forgotten.

Then there's the fact that rather than being 'a war to end all wars' it helped to cause WW2....

Thank goodness we have been at peace with our neighbours since then.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My Gt Uncle (mentioned in other thread) went up to join up at Stirling Castle with the local regiment (Argyll & Sutherland Regt) but was recognised by the recruiting sgt as underage & sent home. He then went and joined up wih the Royal Field Artillery!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A terrible waste of lives, 19,000 men slaughtered on the first day of the Somme is hard to comprehend, long may they all be remembered.