Replacing inner needle cap

Lemonade

Does it matter that much if you accidently prick yourself? I've done it tons, and I tend to re-use needles a lot too so that I've got enough to last me....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lemonade said:
Does it matter that much if you accidently prick yourself? I've done it tons, and I tend to re-use needles a lot too so that I've got enough to last me....

Do you have a restriction on the amount needles your gp prescribes?.......just wondering why they need to last :?

AMBrennan

Does it matter that much if you accidently prick yourself?
Yes, it's generally safe to assume that the entire medical profession are idiots and that there's no reason for any of the safety precautions.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
ooops. I never put the small needle cap on AND I reuse needles all of the time. My DSN says its up to individual choice and Im fine with the method I currently use. :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When on MDI, I never re-used needles and did what they did in hospital. Needle straight in the sharps bin, both covers into the recycling bin.

TheSparkyPony

As a student nurse, we are told time and time again not to re sheath the needle, be it for insulin or any other injection we need to give.

Most of the nurses on my cohort find this easy to adhere to, but after 11 odd years of re sheathing needles (before pump) I struggle :lol:

I personally don't see the worry if it's your own needles. I've caught myself a few times in the past but nothing more painful than the average BM!

Snodger

Hey SparkyPony, how's the student nurse thing going? How far into the course are you? Still enjoying it?

just so I'm not totally hijacking this thread - I reuse my needles several times, and I put the cap back on in between. Not sure that's all that interesting to anyone but there you go.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Snodger said:
Hey SparkyPony, how's the student nurse thing going? How far into the course are you? Still enjoying it?

just so I'm not totally hijacking this thread - I reuse my needles several times, and I put the cap back on in between. Not sure that's all that interesting to anyone but there you go.

What needles do you use Snodger?

Snodger

noblehead said:
What needles do you use Snodger?

pointy ones.

noblehead me old codger, what do you mean?? you mean length, make, width..? Tell me why you are asking and I'll understand what info to give you. :shifty: (apparently that smily is called 'shifty' which is probably appropriate)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Snodger said:
noblehead me old codger, what do you mean??

Steady on Snodger I'm not that old :lol:

Nothing Shifty just curious how you can use them several times, I find with the modern micro-fine needles that they are easily blunt after 2 injections max.

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Geri said:
ooops. I never put the small needle cap on AND I reuse needles all of the time. My DSN says its up to individual choice and Im fine with the method I currently use. :)

Ok, it's up to individual use, but...
Given the condition of my injection sites after years of being told by my DSN that it's ok to reuse needles and disposable syringes, it's something that I don't do.

Snodger

noblehead said:
Nothing Shifty just curious how you can use them several times, I find with the modern micro-fine needles that they are easily blunt after 2 injections max.
ah what can I say. I like bouncing them off me. Everyone's got to have one vice.

On a more serious note, I appreciate some other posters' problems with this issue, and I think some people's bodies react more violently than others' to needle reuse. I have met people who get lipo lumps almost as soon as they look at a needle, and others who screw the needle in every time with no problems. A lot of it is also down to the insulin used, the dosage (big doses cause more problems than little ones) and of course site rotation. I would never judge someone for reusing needles, but equally if someone finds they have problems if they don't change regularly, I wouldn't judge that either.

TheSparkyPony

Snodger said:

Hello you! Just coming up to the end of my first year, scary how the time has flown! Loving every single minute of it, currently on a ward for day surgeries so get to spend a lot of time in theatres and consequently treating them when they are back. Doing procedures that are normally reserved for 3rd years too. Assisted intubating a patient the other day who'd had a cardiac arrest, I was first on the scene so had to do the whole CPR and basic life support, very scary yet enthralling!
Difficult to combine with diabetes of late, mainly due to my lack of eating and consequent fear of taking too much insulin and going low, even though I'm running at 8-15 mmol/L. I'll get there though!

Hope you're ok Snodger and thanks for asking about me :D xx