Replacing monitors

May Mic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an Aviva Guide , I guess over a year. How often should it be replaced ? Do they get less accurate as they get used?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I suppose like anything else our meters need replacing sooner or later, but I'm pretty sure they don't get less accurate over time. They are not the most accurate of machines when brand new so if they got a little less accurate , I doubt you would notice.
I've had a couple over the years that started to give me ridiculous numbers , numbers that I knew couldn't possibly be anywhere near my actual levels. Bearing in mind that the standard is
+/-15% for 95% of the tests. The 95% means that 1 in 20 tests could be wildly inaccurate.
So the occasional rogue reading can be accepted, forgiven and not seen as a reason to dump the machine, because a new one will comply to the same standards.

Reactions: Omar51

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My current meter is about 4 years old. I am perfectly happy with it.
Along with my CGM, it managed to keep my Hba1c at 40 over the last year.
In the past, I have replaced my meter when it fails or the batteries don't last.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose like anything else our meters need replacing sooner or later, but I'm pretty sure they don't get less accurate over time. They are not the most accurate of machines when brand new so if they got a little less accurate , I doubt you would notice.
I've had a couple over the years that started to give me ridiculous numbers , numbers that I knew couldn't possibly be anywhere near my actual levels. Bearing in mind that the standard is
+/-15% for 95% of the tests. The 95% means that 1 in 20 tests could be wildly inaccurate.
So the occasional rogue reading can be accepted, forgiven and not seen as a reason to dump the machine, because a new one will comply to the same standards.

My test meter is over 5 years old, I charge every time before use (One touch Verio IQ). I think my meter is good, good quality test strips are more important. The test strips I use they expensive and made in UK . I don’t trust cheap test strips made in china .
Omar

• Agree
Reactions: catinahat