Resistance from around 27 weeks...

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m currently 29 weeks pregnant with my second baby and for the last couple of weeks my bloods have been a lot high than usual despite upping my carb ratio and levemir dose.

For example, I used to go low in the night if I went to bed any lower than 10 but recently I’ve been waking up around 8 or 9 when going to bed around 10. This morning I woke up and was 9, did 16 units of novorapid and 54 units of levemir, had 1 round of bacon sarny and a cuppa with sweetener and 4 hours later my blood is 10.5!

My average on my monitor has gone from 5 to 8 in the last couple of weeks and have an hba1c on Wednesday and annoyed this is going to be higher than I wanted.

I can’t remember if I had this with my first, is it just a normal increase now I’m in the third trimester?

eabhamurphy

Totally normal. I'm pregnant with my second baby..don't remember this insulin resistance in my first pregnancy. Was on MDI then and badly hypo prone and I pump now. I'm 31 weeks and over the past few days have needed at 20% basal increase overnight to keep in range, this after already tripled on my basal rates. And then a 15% increase in the morning basal today and yesterday when prior to this the rates were working just fine.
A drop would concern me more than a sudden increase. My meal ratios have completly changed, for example I take 1 unit for 3.5g carb in the morning.. before pregnancy this was 1 unit for 12g or more.
Insulin resistance is insane !
I too was worried my HBA1c would have gone up but it hasn't.
I can't wait to just have myself to worry about when my blood sugars aren't as I want then, pregnancy monitoring is exhausting and then with my toddler to manage too! We must all be mad. Hope you are keeping well. Xx