Resting Heart Rate

Neximus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am interested to know what a good resting heart rate (RHR) is for a Type 1 Diabetic. I’ve been Type 1 for 39 years and have a RHR of 64. Is this good, bad or in between?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine it is the same for everyone, diabetic or not. It should be between 60 and 100. Some super-fit athletic types see much lower than 60.

D

Deleted Account

I imagine it is the same for everyone, diabetic or not. It should be between 60 and 100. Some super-fit athletic types see much lower than 60.
I agree that type 1 diabetes should not affect resting heart rate.
Not sure about only super-fit athletic types being much lower than 60. First thing in the morning, before I get up, my resting heart rate is around 47 and I am far from a super-fit athlete. But no doctors seem concerned by this ...although when I came round after a general anaesthetic with a heart rate of 49, the nurse was surprised.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure about only super-fit athletic types being much lower than 60. First thing in the morning, before I get up, my resting heart rate is around 47 and I am far from a super-fit athlete. But no doctors seem concerned by this ...although when I came round after a general anaesthetic with a heart rate of 49, the nurse was surprised.

You are very active though, so maybe that is the reason. You may be fitter than you think. ;)

Reactions: Kim Possible

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Spainish cyclist Miguel Indurain apparently has or had an rhr of 34. That is genetic! You can lower it by training. I take people's BP and heart rate daily and it is rare to see one above 80 before exercise.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Resting heart rate on my fit bit varies between 57 and 73. It alters after the weekend,when I have had my weekend G&Ts and red wine. During the week if I stay on track with my sugar levels it also drops. If I’m going through a raised period, (I know I know, not good, but tends to happen every couple of weeks even when I’m not eating or doing anything differently) the resting heart rate rockets, it is very interesting.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My resting heart rate is always between 42 and 55. I wouldn't say I was super fit but I guess if I'm honest I'm probably fitter than a lot my age let alone being T1. I've been training in some format or another since my teens, and I think I take my fitness for granted on account it's something that is part of my life.
It annoys my wife when we check our BP. Other than that, the only time anyone has passed comment was a few years back when a consultant looked at the BP readings that had just been taken and asked " do you feel alright? ". It turned out I'd posted a sub 40 heart rate. We then had a chat about exercise and what types we both participated in.

D

Deleted member 308541

I just checked with my Oximeter and my spo2 is 94% and heart rate is 60.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My resting heart rate is generally around 50, but 'normal' is between 60 and 100. A measure of fitness is how long it takes for your heart rate to come back to normal (for you) after exercise - the quicker it is, the fitter you are.

Edited to add: readings taken at home using a Lloyds pharmacy BP monitor.