Type 2 Restricted diets

JaneyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, new here but a friend used the site when she was first diagnosed and said it was very helpful so I'm hoping for the same.

I've been diagnosed for a while but recently had to be taken off metformin for other medical reasons and I'm on other medication.

Struggling now with sugar control and wondered about the low carb diet.

However, the example recipes I've seen are no good for me as I have othe dietary restrictions.

So my question is, can I structure the low carb app on here for my other restrictions? If not what else would people suggest?
I have to have a low fibre diet.

Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought about a no plant food diet where you have meat, fish, dairy with no plant products? I'm guessing that would fit with your low fibre.. you could add in green veg if you are ok with those and avocado maybe in restricted quantities.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @JaneyS, I have never used the app but you can absolutely modify the principles of low carb to work for you. I think we all do to some extent eg I have some nut allergies

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps write a list of all the foods you can eat on your other restricted diet, then cross off any of the high carb items and see what is left. A lot of the foods in a low carb diet are also low in fibre, which is one reason many of us add things like flaxseed etc. You may be surprised.

There are other members on low fibre diets, but I can't recall who at the moment.

Reactions: Struma

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
metformin Is not going to make a lot of difference to your sugar levels.. is your new medication raising your sugar levels, some can.
Best let us know what's foods are off limits to you now, and what medication you are taking as some food items can affect medications.

I have not used any apps .. just make lots of notes on sugar levels and foods eaten

JaneyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for these comments everyone. I'd not heard of a no plant diet, maybe that is something to try. Just add in the bit of fibre I can tollerate.
Off to do some research.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have lots of foods I don't tolerate. Mostly high carb foods like all grains, starches, sugars etc so no problem there being low carb for me.
I also don't tolerate a lot of fiber but I do tolerate very well avocado. I eat one a day but split throughout the day. It also helps keep my sugars down by a lot.

I don't tolerate lots of veggies either. So I eat a very high fat, very low carb and moderate proton diet. I think I'm missing the gene that digests carbs. I've always been this way long before diabetes.

Eating four small meals helps me too.

Bf is either 1/3 avocado or a thin slice of deli turkey / chicken on a lettuce wrap with mayo and mustard.

The next three meals all have avocado and protein. Some with mayo or extra virgin olive oil.

Snacks are a few nuts or pumpkin seeds, olives, or a few raw veg.

I have a large variety of proteins that accompany all meals in small amounts.