Results are in.....

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Long term lurker and learner.

Was diagnosed as T2 on 31st May 2016 with a HbA1C of 11.4% or 101 mmol/mol.

I found this site and went on a reading binge, starting a LCHF lifestyle immediately.

08 Aug 2016 HbA1C of 6.6% or 49 mmol/mol

Just received latest results:

28 Nov 2016 HbA1C of 5.1% or 32 mmol/mol

Also a letter stating " we are writing to advise you that there is no clinical requirement for you to continue to monitor your blood glucose, and the testing strips have been removed from your list of repeat medication. You should continue to attend the regular appointments made for you by the Practice to check your overall diabetes control, including HbA1c testing."

So many thanks to all here for their assistance, not acknowledged until now, but your posts and threads have helped so much.

Just my Blood Pressure and cholesterol to sort out now.

Reactions: al_leister
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bloody heck. That's two in two minutes. Well done and I am feeling surrounded.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you buy the book The Great Cholesterol Con you might stop worrying about your cholesterol.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Long term lurker and learner.

Was diagnosed as T2 on 31st May 2016 with a HbA1C of 11.4% or 101 mmol/mol.

I found this site and went on a reading binge, starting a LCHF lifestyle immediately.

08 Aug 2016 HbA1C of 6.6% or 49 mmol/mol

Just received latest results:

28 Nov 2016 HbA1C of 5.1% or 32 mmol/mol

Also a letter stating " we are writing to advise you that there is no clinical requirement for you to continue to monitor your blood glucose, and the testing strips have been removed from your list of repeat medication. You should continue to attend the regular appointments made for you by the Practice to check your overall diabetes control, including HbA1c testing."

So many thanks to all here for their assistance, not acknowledged until now, but your posts and threads have helped so much.

Just my Blood Pressure and cholesterol to sort out now.

wow that is one of the best esults I have seen till now... congratulations... wow

welcomee here MartinK9 :)

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
wow that is one of the best esults I have seen till now... congratulations... wow

welcomee here MartinK9 :)

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I was shocked too as I had noticed the statins I started a month ago had raised my BG levels on testing. I thought a higher HbA1C was on the cards. I'll wait for the next one to be sure.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant! Well done!

Personally, I would invest in a meter and strips and continue to monitor occasionally.
It is very easy to slip into eating more carbs, and letting the odd bit of weight go back on, and then suddenly, whoops! you are back where you started.

Occasionally testing is a good way to keep your awareness ticking over. :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the welcome. :)

I was shocked too as I had noticed the statins I started a month ago had raised my BG levels on testing. I thought a higher HbA1C was on the cards. I'll wait for the next one to be sure.
'wow well maybe the statins are not needed when you do low carbing... but that you will find out yourself, my cholesterol went down to normal just by not eating many carbs and hardly any animal fats...
and my triglycerides also went normal..that way..
actually I think it is the high carbing that are the cause to high glycerides and the high colesterols

Last edited:

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant! Well done!

Personally, I would invest in a meter and strips and continue to monitor occasionally.
It is very easy to slip into eating more carbs, and letting the odd bit of weight go back on, and then suddenly, whoops! you are back where you started.

Occasionally testing is a good way to keep your awareness ticking over. :)

Many thanks.

I was initially eating to my meter and my DN was happy with the testing 8 times a day.

I reduced that to testing once daily after finding out what spikes me. I have kept a food diary since beginning and have set menus that work for me.

I have managed to build up a supply of strips but will continue after the free ones run out.

Reactions: Brunneria

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'wow well maybe the statins are not needed when you do low carbing... but thqat you will find out yuor self, my cholesterol went down to normal just by not eating many carbs and hardly any animal fats...
and my triglycerides also went normal..that way..
actually I think it is the high carbing that are the cause to high glycerides and the high colesterols

I will book a cholesterol test in the New Year and depending on the results take action then.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will book a cholesterol test in the New Year and depending on the results take action then.

well I think I´ll twist it a bit more; I think that the raised cholesterol is due to much damage in our blood vessels and overall tissue and that this damage it made from eating very high levels of carbs... but maybe also due to other reasons, so when we that can´t process carbs in a adequate way, when we stop eating much carbs our damage is also lowering and thus our body stops procusing very much cholesterol and a sideeffect of not eating much carb is also that triglyceride levels go down as it is one of the products of breaking down carbohydrates

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done MartinK9! :)

Even if they think there is no requirement for you to continue to monitor your blood glucose, I would strongly recommend you do, as it's too easy to backslide when you don't, and could end up giving you a big shock when you have your next hba1c result.
Thanks.

Funny that, because that's what I said along the lines that what if my next test shows levels have increased to those that require test strips do I start again? Meh....................

(as stated above, I'll be continuing the monitoring myself)