Results are in

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
I have just returned home after seeing my DN for my yearly HBA1C results.
didn't have a review last year so got nothing to compare but I knew my numbers were going to be up as test myself.
So 78mols 9.3% target 7.5%
cholestrol 4.68 so that is great.
Blood pressure 136/55 and pulse 55
weight 75kg down from 82 in December 2016 LCHF diet does work!
Anyway not too bad, DN says to increase Gliclazide from 2x40mg daily to 2x80mg. just increase morning dose for a week then increase morning and evening 2nd week. she says I should see improvement in 3 days to bg numbers.
Also she suggested eating supper before bed.
So I will give it ago.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Next time the HbA1c will be much better. :)

Are you following a low carb diet, and if so, did you make sure your nurse knew this before she upped your Gliclazide?

I just worry that Glic forces your pancreas to produce extra insulin that you may not need due to reduced glucose in your system (due to low carbing) that you may go too low. Just keep an eye on things and test, test, test to check for any low numbers.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Well done. Next time the HbA1c will be much better. :)

Are you following a low carb diet, and if so, did you make sure your nurse knew this before she upped your Gliclazide?

I just worry that Glic forces your pancreas to produce extra insulin that you may not need due to reduced glucose in your system (due to low carbing) that you may go too low. Just keep an eye on things and test, test, test to check for any low numbers.
yes DN is aware of my LC diet and did say recommendation is to have some carbs in each meal! and this is why she wants to see me in 3 weeks, and says to keep a note of readings and if I go below 4 the gliclazide is too high. I am happy to try it, I asked her how long it would be before I see any change she reckons 3 days! only started yesterday and my morning bg is down to 8.4 whereas it has been 10/11 so we will see, I did have a packet of pork crunch 1/2 hour before I went to bed so don't know if that is part of the answer.... eat small low carb snack before bed. All I can do is give it a go.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Great results @Hpetal. Well done! I'm sure your bs levels will be falling too. :)
thanks I am hoping they do.
May I ask ? why have you got A1C results every month? surely this would not show too much of a change, our DN does 3 month and yearly tests, which is fine for me as to be honest if i had monthly tests I would be stressing out not seeing a bigger change, I get stressed just seeing daily changes that are erratic when doing my own meter tests, but everyone is different.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Hpetal the figures in green in my signature are the average of my monthly fbg self tests (mmol/L), converted into what the equivalent HbA1c (ifcc) figure would be. I only get an actual HbA1c test every 12 months usually, and those figures are shown in blue.
I work out the monthly fbg averages because the average of the three months preceding a HbA1c test gives me a rough estimate of what the actual HbA1c test result will be.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Hi @Hpetal the figures in green in my signature are the average of my monthly fbg self tests (mmol/L), converted into what the equivalent HbA1c (ifcc) figure would be. I only get an actual HbA1c test every 12 months usually, and those figures are shown in blue.
I work out the monthly fbg averages because the average of the three months preceding a HbA1c test gives me a rough estimate of what the actual HbA1c test result will be.
OK think I understand all that.
Each to their own way of testing but to be honest it would drive me mad doing all those averages,
I do test daily and prefer not to get over anxious about figures unless I feel unwell.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Hpetal It wasn't too difficult to work out the averages. I note my fbg in my diary every morning. Add them up at the end of the month and divide that total by the number of days in the month.
But I've recently realised I can get 7, 14, 30, and 90 day averages from my meter, so I might just do the 30 day averages in future.

Reactions: Hpetal