Retinal screening in Berkshire now "contracted out"

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my annual eye screening done on Monday at our local hospital, and was surprised to be told that the service in Berkshire is no longer under the auspices of the NHS and has now been (as of April 1st!) contracted to Health Intelligence, and I had to sign a consent form for them. Apparently this is already the case in other areas in the south & south east, see: http://healthwatchreading.org.uk/new-organisation-take-diabetes-eye-screening-programme-berkshire/

Cynically called by OH "Privatization by Stealth"! :banghead:

But the check was quick & efficient, as opposed to last year's unfortunate disaster at our local surgery, when the computer broke down, and we were given the option of going home or waiting (for the best part of the afternoon) for a replacement to be sent over from Wokingham. I did feel sorry for the poor techicians though. (And with reference to the other eye screening thread, I've always been give the dilating eye drops beforehand.)

Robbity

ETA I also has the privilege of buying the most expensive teabag ever when I virtuously chose a herbal tea in the hospital cafeteria while waiting for husband to return and collect me! :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my annual eye screening done on Monday at our local hospital, and was surprised to be told that the service in Berkshire is no longer under the auspices of the NHS and has now been (as of April 1st!) contracted to Health Intelligence, and I had to sign a consent form for them. Apparently this is already the case in other areas in the south & south east, see: http://healthwatchreading.org.uk/new-organisation-take-diabetes-eye-screening-programme-berkshire/

Cynically called by OH "Privatization by Stealth"! :banghead:

But the check was quick & efficient, as opposed to last year's unfortunate disaster at our local surgery, when the computer broke down, and we were given the option of going home or waiting (for the best part of the afternoon) for a replacement to be sent over from Wokingham. I did feel sorry for the poor techicians though. (And with reference to the other eye screening thread, I've always been give the dilating eye drops beforehand.)

Robbity

ETA I also has the privilege of buying the most expensive teabag ever when I virtuously chose a herbal tea in the hospital cafeteria while waiting for husband to return and collect me! :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:
I am in the same area and my screening was moved a month earlier this year as the service was closed while the changeover of provider happened. I asked about the staff and apparently they were almost all moving to the new company.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in the same area and my screening was moved a month earlier this year as the service was closed while the changeover of provider happened. I asked about the staff and apparently they were almost all moving to the new company.
Which is good to know - thanks!

Robbity

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the same terms and conditions?

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Dark Horse

On the same terms and conditions?
For staff who were able to transfer, NHS terms and conditions (pay, annual leave and sick leave) would be covered by TUPE and ability to continue to pay into the NHS pension would be covered by the Pensions Act. The private provider who took over already had an admin team based in Cheshire so the Berkshire office staff will have lost their jobs.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For staff who were able to transfer, NHS terms and conditions (pay, annual leave and sick leave) would be covered by TUPE and ability to continue to pay into the NHS pension would be covered by the Pensions Act. The private provider who took over already had an admin team based in Cheshire so the Berkshire office staff will have lost their jobs.
Thanks. Forgot about TUPE.