Retinal Screening

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
You're right, people react differently to the eye drops, like a lot of things. I didn't know it was possible to have an adequate test without the drops but if there is a chance you can, then there is no harm in asking about it. If you decide you need to have the drops, then maybe there won't be much of a reaction - hard to say beforehand. I do know there are different drops and some hurt more than others.
You are right, there are drops that sting and drops that sting more, it all depends on the procedure you're having done. I have an eye problem (not diabetic related) for which I attend the hospital for regular scans, the drops they use do sting slightly (but anything you put in your eye will sting) the consultant is looking at one particular area of my blind eye.However, when I go for Retinopathy screening the drops sting a lot....different drops for a different procedure, this time they want to see the whole area at the back of both eyes. Without the correct drops they would not see the whole area only limited, I prefer a few seconds of discomfort and a complete check up rather than a limited check which could miss a problem. As I have said previously on other posts, your eyes your decision, but you can't blame the Opthalmologist if something is overlooked, it's a personal choice which could be risky

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
You are right, there are drops that sting and drops that sting more, it all depends on the procedure you're having done. I have an eye problem (not diabetic related) for which I attend the hospital for regular scans, the drops they use do sting slightly (but anything you put in your eye will sting) the consultant is looking at one particular area of my blind eye.However, when I go for Retinopathy screening the drops sting a lot....different drops for a different procedure, this time they want to see the whole area at the back of both eyes. Without the correct drops they would not see the whole area only limited, I prefer a few seconds of discomfort and a complete check up rather than a limited check which could miss a problem. As I have said previously on other posts, your eyes your decision, but you can't blame the Opthalmologist if something is overlooked, it's a personal choice which could be risky
Indeed, my appetite for risk to my eyes is really low. My first screenings involved drops that did not sting at all, then I moved cities and hey presto, ouchies! The fact that they could have used painless ones but were cutting costs seemed to add insult to injury. I support them trying to save money where they can, but was annoyed that retinal screening patients should have to bear the brunt of that. When you see hospitals wasting money in other areas too. Oh well, such is life, I guess. Just as well it's only 1 minute every 2 years (for me). I feel sorry for anyone who has pain for longer than that :(

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Indeed, my appetite for risk to my eyes is really low. My first screenings involved drops that did not sting at all, then I moved cities and hey presto, ouchies! The fact that they could have used painless ones but were cutting costs seemed to add insult to injury. I support them trying to save money where they can, but was annoyed that retinal screening patients should have to bear the brunt of that. When you see hospitals wasting money in other areas too. Oh well, such is life, I guess. Just as well it's only 1 minute every 2 years (for me). I feel sorry for anyone who has pain for longer than that :(
I have regular injections into the back of my blind eye to remove fluid build up it's very painful I ooh & ouch and sometimes cry but I continue to go through this procedure in order not to cause more damage to that eye but as you say such is life & we have to make choices

Reactions: 2 people

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please can we keep this civil. Some people do react to the eye drops. I know someone who has to have a half dose and another person who does not have the drops because of previous problems.

We're all different.

I get where you're coming from and of course I'd prefer to have a comprehensive and thorough check. But, as an example of how I can react to things I felt very faint and hot after having my very first flu jab last week. I almost passed out (I'm also needle phobic as well). I must have spent at least another 20 mins or so with the DSN before I felt safe enough and steady on my feet to actually leave the room. It may sound stupid to most but it's the same sort of reaction that may be triggered if I have the drops in my eyes.

I'm guessing that some people are absolutely fine yet others it will have a more adverse effect on . . .

Appreciate your circumstances - It's hard to quantify a ' phobia', I thought perhaps it was something (eye drops) you had a dislike of, or didn't want to be inconvenienced (by dilated pupils for 3 hours)...

Anway, good luck with your appointment - might be worth getting the (eye)docs opinion on whether this will inhibit their ability to identify issues, and or if there are alternatives.

Tracy_McK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not everyone needs the drops I know I certainly never have, they have never even been suggested for me so you may not need them either