Retinopathy and pregnancy

loobyloo254

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, my first post!!!! Im 11 weeks pregnant and have been to see my eye clinic today and previously have been having anti vegf injections after having laser years ago! They said they didnt think i could have anymore injections while pregnant and they would neednto do urgent laser this week, has anyone else had any similar experiences particulary with pregnancy - im petrified of losing vision and the laser doing nothing and ive got 6 months to go!!!!!! X

Reactions: SweetSophia

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Oh, @loobyloo254, this is so harrowing for you. Many hugs from us all!!
I hope your health team is assisting you in every way possible like ensuring your Blood pressure is OK and that you have the best possible way to control your BSLs. (2 things I have read are important regarding diabetic eye troubles).
Are you prescribed an insulin pump for example? :):):):)

loobyloo254

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, yes i have an insulin pump and my blood pressure is perfect at the moment, im jist trying to stay positive and keep my bsl as prefect as possible, its really hard when you cant see whats actually going on in your eyes until it affects the vision, fingers crossed the laser can hold off any further developments until i can have injections again after the birth !!!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @loobyloo254, It sounds like you are a model patient !! Well done. Yes fingers crossed. Do you also use/use access to and have approval for using Continuous Blood sugar Monitoring (CGM) with your pump?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, my first post!!!! Im 11 weeks pregnant and have been to see my eye clinic today and previously have been having anti vegf injections after having laser years ago! They said they didnt think i could have anymore injections while pregnant and they would neednto do urgent laser this week, has anyone else had any similar experiences particulary with pregnancy - im petrified of losing vision and the laser doing nothing and ive got 6 months to go!!!!!! X
Hi, I had significant retinopathy bleeding throughout my pregnancy and received laser on many occasions whilst pregnant. My peripheral vision isn’t what it use to be but overall my vision is fine (once the blood clears). My daughter is now two and I’m still experiencing the odd bleed due to scarring. I’m now at a point where I decide to just deal with the sporadic bleeding or take the plunge and have surgery. At present I have no active diabetic eye disease going on. I’ve never had the injections that you mention. Hope some of this helps slightly and more than happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck and hope you manage to enjoy your pregnancy.

Reactions: SweetSophia

loobyloo254

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @loobyloo254, It sounds like you are a model patient !! Well done. Yes fingers crossed. Do you also use/use access to and have approval for using Continuous Blood sugar Monitoring (CGM) with your pump?

Hi, no i dont qualify for CGM - but im still gunna push for it at my next appointment

loobyloo254

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I had significant retinopathy bleeding throughout my pregnancy and received laser on many occasions whilst pregnant. My peripheral vision isn’t what it use to be but overall my vision is fine (once the blood clears). My daughter is now two and I’m still experiencing the odd bleed due to scarring. I’m now at a point where I decide to just deal with the sporadic bleeding or take the plunge and have surgery. At present I have no active diabetic eye disease going on. I’ve never had the injections that you mention. Hope some of this helps slightly and more than happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck and hope you manage to enjoy your pregnancy.

Thank you for this it does help, just hearing its possible to go through all this with my eyes and come out the other side keeps me going! Well done on keeping on top of yours xx

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome and congratulations on the baby!
I got lasered whilst pregnant but due to roller coaster blood sugrs (being very good whilst pregnant then pretty careless afterwards as by then I had a premie baby and not much help) I went on to need further surgery (a double vitrectomy) but have decent vision and stable eyes after nearly 15 years.
All I can say is make sure you take good care of yourself not just when pregnant but afterwards too. Sounds obvious but we are so terrified to harm our foetuses that we take our eyes off the ball (sorry) when they have safely emerged and motherhood takes over your time and brain. If that sounds patronising then I am sorry; I had no idea of what having a baby would entail and could not focus past the birth hence the shock when it all happened 6 weeks too early!
I think I was really unlucky too as I understand lasering works well for most and expect that with continued good care post pregnancy you'll avoid my experience. It may be worth reassuring yourself by asking the consultant for some stats on your likely prognosis.

Reactions: kitedoc