Retinopathy Anxiety

Unbeliever

I should say nohing to worry about. If there was he slightest chance you needed some follow up checks hey would have referred you to the eye clinic. Almost everyone shows some signs of changes after a time but these can often disappear.of their own acccord. Sometimes they can be so minute as o be unclear and are only confirmed by the next scan.
had you been referred o the eye clinic you wouldn]t have received any treatment anyway.

Its the nature of screening to cause a great deal of anxety but its very rare for the condition to progress very quickly or to the extent that your vision would be endangered in between scans and if hat were the case you would probably be aware of it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jamanda said:
I went for my retinal screening last month, and on the day the opthamologist said it all looked clear as she has done every time before. My follow up letters have always confirmed no signs too. Yesterday I got a letter saying there were signs of mild diabetic retinopathy, but that it was stable. I'm slightly concerned about how it can be "stable" when it has gone from "no signs" to "mild". My sugar is under control with a bit of metformin and a lot of gym and walking. My cholesterol and BP are good with the aid of meds too. I was planning on a trip to spec savers soon any way, but I don't expect them to be experts on this. Should I make an appointment with the GP? Is this a reasonable thing to be worried about? I've looked at the advice on the various website and I do everything they suggest already.

There's not much your gp can do tbh, your doing the best thing by controlling your bg levels, cholesterol and bp together with the regular exercise you do, just make sure you also eat a diet rich in fruit and vegetables as this is said to help in diabetic retinopathy.

At Specsavers they can photograph the back of the eyes and show you the pictures on screen but they probably won't advise on what to do if your under the care of the Ophthalmology clinic, if there are changes you will be called in more regularly now and they will monitor your eyes more closely and spot any changes should they develop, try not to worry .....although I appreciate it's easier said than done.

Good luck!