Retinopathy bleed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, i am a type1 diabetic of 26 years. I have had several laser sessions in each eye. The last one 8 days ago. Two days ago I had a bleed in the same eye that has affected my vision. Saw my consultant yesterday who says the blood will hopefully disperse in a few weeks. I know everyone is different, however, does anyone have an idea of the process? Is it a slow thing with the vision slowly getting better, does it get worse before it gets better or have folk woken the next and they can see again? I'd really just like to hear people's experiences as this is really getting me down. I'm also 16 weeks pregnant, I should probably add. Any info at all would be so appreciated. Thank you!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Scottishlass500

The blood in most cases is reabsorbed by the body and disappears over time, how long that takes is dependant on the size of the haemorrhage I'd imagine, in extreme cases if the blood doesn't disperse a vitrectomy operation would be needed.

Have a look at the following website, I've gone to the page which explains things much better than I could:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/vitreous_hemorrhage.html

Best wishes.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, thanks for your reply. I did a fair bit of research last night and found this info. Was good to read it again today though as I was saturated with info last night. I was more looking for folks experiences. As in does it get worse whilst the blood disperses (I'm going with optimism that it will clear it's self) before it gets better? Does the sight restore slowly or do you suddenly wake one morning and it's all gone or is it all of those and different for everyone. I understand the different end outcomes just not what to expect during the process. Hope that all makes sense and ad I say any experiences would be very much appreciated.