Retinopathy Reversal?

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Some time ago I had the annual eye screening done and the result was that there is a change in my eyes. At the same time, and by coincidence, I have a bad cataract in my left eye. The right eye also has a cataract, but it doesn't affect my vision as yet.

At the time, I was a little surprised with the news that my eyes had changed due to T2, but what shook me was the cataract operation would not happen as my BS was too high, albeit not hugely. I have been working hard to get my bloods under control and I am pleased to say they are. The next blood test (a year later) confirmed I was good to go for the cataract removal.

The cataract operation was due on the Friday was postponed on Wednesday due to C19 right at the beginning of this pandemic. Very frustrating. The vision in my left eye is just a blur now.

BUT what I was wondering, can the damage done to my eyes due to diabetes be reversed? I have had a look on the NHS website and read the diabetic retinopathy stuff, but it doesn't say it can be reversed, so am I to assume the damage is done and permanent?

Many thanks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some time ago I had the annual eye screening done and the result was that there is a change in my eyes. At the same time, and by coincidence, I have a bad cataract in my left eye. The right eye also has a cataract, but it doesn't affect my vision as yet.

At the time, I was a little surprised with the news that my eyes had changed due to T2, but what shook me was the cataract operation would not happen as my BS was too high, albeit not hugely. I have been working hard to get my bloods under control and I am pleased to say they are. The next blood test (a year later) confirmed I was good to go for the cataract removal.

The cataract operation was due on the Friday was postponed on Wednesday due to C19 right at the beginning of this pandemic. Very frustrating. The vision in my left eye is just a blur now.

BUT what I was wondering, can the damage done to my eyes due to diabetes be reversed? I have had a look on the NHS website and read the diabetic retinopathy stuff, but it doesn't say it can be reversed, so am I to assume the damage is done and permanent?

Many thanks.

DumfriesDik, if you have a search on the forum, you'll find a number of threads about this.

Yes, certain stages of changes can come and go - often related to glucose control, but not necessarily the whole story.

The changes reported by the eye screening services are at an incredibly high level, and we, as patients get an eyen higher level. If you want to enquire what those changes were, you can ask your doctor to show you his letter, which outlines the extent of any changes in each eye.

In the meantime, you've done the right thing getting your bloods into better order - for your eyes, but also for your general wellbeing. Well done.

Reactions: DumfriesDik

Dark Horse

The overall degree of retinopathy generally improves with good diabetic control (blood glucose, blood pressure and lipids). The earlier good control is instigated, the more likely this is to happen. It's never too late, though - even if retinopathy is well-established, the risk of progression is reduced by improving diabetic control. http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/hba1c_and_retinopathy.htm

Jamie H

Had background two years ago. Went private and was informed it was so minor it was hardly noticeable however the nhs were obliged to tell me as "something" showed up.

Last check there was nothing to report. Seems common that background can be reversed and most having had diabetes for 20 plus years will show something