1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Retinopathy Success!

Discussion in 'Diabetic Retinopathy' started by BeccyB, Oct 12, 2016.

1. BeccyB

BeccyB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had laser treatment for a couple of years but my retinopathy was getting worse as my bloods were still out of control. So earlier this year I started having Eyelea injections, and have made a good start on control bringing my HbA1c down to 8.5% (yes I know it's still high but it was 13.8% last year :eek::arghh:) And yesterday I was told that I've stopped the retinopathy in it's tracks :D

I'm going to have some more of the injections, because they don't really have enough information on if the effect lasts, but only every 2-3 months rather than monthly. My consultant thinks if I can keep on top of my bloods he should be able to discharge me in a year's time.

So I really want to tell you all - It just goes to show that we should never think it's too late to start making a change!! Obviously sooner is better and I will always have a little damage from the laser (I had a LOT!) but even at the later stages of the disease we can still make a BIG difference.

Never give up!!

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 5
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Hug x 1
  2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Wow what a great post @BeccyB , so pleased that your turning things around :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

quietly pleased for you @BeccyB :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Well done, you are heading in the right direction and I am so pleased for you :) x

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. lizdeluz

lizdeluz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Great news and very encouraging post! :):):)

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook