retinopathy

irene10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi i have been diabetic for about 12 years and been on metformin for about 8 years last year i was diagnosed with breast cancer and had surgery, chem and radiotherapy i have just been for my annual retinopathy checkup and have now a slight retinopathy which has depressed me i wpuld like to know did any of my treatment cause this and can it be reversed and can i still continue to eat fruit
thank you for reading irene

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi i have been diabetic for about 12 years and been on metformin for about 8 years last year i was diagnosed with breast cancer and had surgery, chem and radiotherapy i have just been for my annual retinopathy checkup and have now a slight retinopathy which has depressed me i wpuld like to know did any of my treatment cause this and can it be reversed and can i still continue to eat fruit
thank you for reading irene
Hi
Hope your treatment has gone well. I have heard some here say their retinopathy has improved when their BG levels have gone down. Is your diabetes well controlled. As for the fruit some people can eat it some just eat berries and some can't eat fruit at all as it raises their BG to much

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
What are your figures? That is an important consideration first up. Fruit? Depends a lot on what it does to your blood sugars

Your woes are enough so admiration for battling through. Support is in overload on this site so please, stay around and let us assist.

Mike:).

Dark Horse

It's impossible to say whether your treatment has had any effect but it is very common to have background retinopathy after 12 years of diabetes. Background retinopathy does not affect your sight but does mean that it's even more important to attend all screening appointments and to maintain good glucose and blood pressure control to reduce the risk of progression.

irene10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi
thankyou all for your replies to tell the truth Mike i dont know what my BG is that sounds terrible but i have never checked my own sugar levels because i was usually between 6-8 and i had blood tests 6 moths but now they are every year but i am going to get a test kit tomorrow

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@irene10

No, it's not terrible at all :) Grab the kit and start when you're good and ready. Then let us know the numbers so we can help you along if you're OK with that :)

Mike