retinopathy

Sandra Wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all .....just been diagnosed with the onset of the above ....has anyone also been diagnosed with this ? am really concerned I might lose my sight ...are you on any treatments, and if so, what and how are you coping ? thanks for any advice

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all .....just been diagnosed with the onset of the above ....has anyone also been diagnosed with this ? am really concerned I might lose my sight ...are you on any treatments, and if so, what and how are you coping ? thanks for any advice
Hi, i have also just been diagnosed with this, im going with denial so havent read up on it, dsn said it will be controlled if I can control bg so I am going with that

Oh didnt realise this was your first post, hi and welcome, someone more useful than me will be along shortly

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @Sandra Wright ,

I notice you've been a member for a long time. What took you so long? & welcome.

There are advances in treatments for eye complications. However, it's down to good old BG managment to help it along the right track of improvement..
How are you/have you been coping with your BGs?

Though no "retinopathy" myself, I was slapped with Macula oedema. After initial treatment & regular consecutive monitoring, the results are looking more than promising..

Hope this helps.

Reactions: zand

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi @Sandra Wright I was diagnosed with Retinopathy in 1979, having been Type 1 for 20 years at that stage. I had the earliest laser treatment in both eyes, the last being in 1983. I put this down to rigid adherence to the regime I was on until 13th August 2013, when I had a kidney/pancreas transplant. Even now I have good vision in both eyes and only use reading glasses. I hope this gives you some hope! Good luck

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi, i have also just been diagnosed with this, im going with denial so havent read up on it, dsn said it will be controlled if I can control bg so I am going with that

Oh didnt realise this was your first post, hi and welcome, someone more useful than me will be along shortly
Hi @Fenn I was diagnosed with Retinopathy in 1979, having been Type 1 for 20 years at that stage. I had the earliest laser treatment in both eyes, the last being in 1983. I put this down to rigid adherence to the regime I was on until 13th August 2013, when I had a kidney/pancreas transpant. Even now I have good vision in both eyes and only use reading glasses. I hope this gives you some hope! Good luck

Reactions: Fenn

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
just been diagnosed with the onset of the above

Hi, Sandra, when you say that you have just been diagnosed with the "onset" of retinopathy, could you tell us more about how you have been told this?

The reason I ask is that, very often, the first we hear about it is when we get a letter after our eye checks saying we're showing early signs of "background diabetic retinopathy". When you say "onset" it's sounding a bit like that sort of letter.

If you've got a letter like that, it's just really saying that the people who analyse the eye pics have seen a few random spots which are worth them, erm, keeping an eye on, in case it starts to look worse at later checks.

Very often, the sort of minor blips they see will sort themselves out - very small bleeds can fix themselves - and sometimes, the blip wasn't there at all: they were just being very cautious about marking it down as a possibility.

It's not unusual for people to get a BDR letter one year, and the next says it's fine, no signs.

It's like an early warning system, just something for the docs to watch in case it gets worse.

If it's that sort of letter, I really wouldn't be worrying about losing your sight. Many non-T1s get background retinopathy and they're just fine. They just like to watch us more as we're higher risk.

If, though, the docs have called you in to discuss it, well, that would be more of an issue.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was diagnosed with retinopathy but keeping my BG low has gotten rid of it now my last two scans have shown as normal so it's possible to get rid of it.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had background retiopathy and tightening up BG control got rid of it. It has been reported that sudden tightening of BG control can make it worse in the short term; whereas a more gradual improvement in control doesn't. As previously asked, it depends what severity of retinopathy you have.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Sandra, when you say that you have just been diagnosed with the "onset" of retinopathy, could you tell us more about how you have been told this?

The reason I ask is that, very often, the first we hear about it is when we get a letter after our eye checks saying we're showing early signs of "background diabetic retinopathy". When you say "onset" it's sounding a bit like that sort of letter.

If you've got a letter like that, it's just really saying that the people who analyse the eye pics have seen a few random spots which are worth them, erm, keeping an eye on, in case it starts to look worse at later checks.

Very often, the sort of minor blips they see will sort themselves out - very small bleeds can fix themselves - and sometimes, the blip wasn't there at all: they were just being very cautious about marking it down as a possibility.

It's not unusual for people to get a BDR letter one year, and the next says it's fine, no signs.

It's like an early warning system, just something for the docs to watch in case it gets worse.

If it's that sort of letter, I really wouldn't be worrying about losing your sight. Many non-T1s get background retinopathy and they're just fine. They just like to watch us more as we're higher risk.

If, though, the docs have called you in to discuss it, well, that would be more of an issue.
This is very good news, that letter is what I am calling a diagnosis, feeling much happier about it now, Thankyou