Retinopathy

Ketan14568

Hello everyone, I’m looking for some support and advise. Since going low carb my HBA1C has gone from 6.5 to 6 and the last test showed 4.7, so a good reduction in three years. The problem I have is I noticed my retinopathy got worse whilst on low carb, two years ago I had retinal detachment and now macular oedema in the sane eye. Just recently I got blurred and distorted vision in the other eye and had laser but consultant said I had a lot of fluid in the eye so will take some time to get better. Has anyone had the same experience with retinopathy whilst being on low carb. I’m type 2 on metformin and gliclazide . Any help and advise will be appreciated. Thank you

M

Member496333

Hello everyone, I’m looking for some support and advise. Since going low carb my HBA1C has gone from 6.5 to 6 and the last test showed 4.7, so a good reduction in three years. The problem I have is I noticed my retinopathy got worse whilst on low carb, two years ago I had retinal detachment and now macular oedema in the sane eye. Just recently I got blurred and distorted vision in the other eye and had laser but consultant said I had a lot of fluid in the eye so will take some time to get better. Has anyone had the same experience with retinopathy whilst being on low carb. I’m type 2 on metformin and gliclazide . Any help and advise will be appreciated. Thank you

Yeah I had a broadly similar experience. Retinopathy in both eyes. Through varying stages of severity it then exploded when my blood glucose levels plummeted. I had bilateral laser to seal the bleeds, but my right eye reacted badly and I had a macular edema. Anti-VEGF cleared up the swelling and my eye health is now great. Unfortunately I have some scarring on both retinas from the laser burns, but they don’t seem to affect my visual acuity. Recent eye test showed better than 20/20 in the left eye and slightly below 20/20 in the right but not correctable with prescription.

Throughout all this my ophthalmologist was aware of my dietary strategy (ketosis) and said that I was doing all the right things, and to just hold out and hope that time would be kind to me. Thankfully it was.

Reactions: Peppergirl