Type 1 Retinopathy

Heed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.
I am new to this site, but need to talk to people who understand and have experience with diabetis and the like.

I have been diabetic for 14 years now and always have an eye screen test.

These normally come back fine. However today it said I have background retinopathy and it has hit me for 6. My diabetis has never scared me but today for the first time I felt like it was out of my control. My levels are generally very good and my blood pressure has always been fine so I am unsure why this has happened.

I guess I am asking for other people's experiences with this and whether there is a way back.

I have been looking at this site for a while and would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you
Heed

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Heed

Understand that this has knocked you for 6, I've had problems with retinopathy in the past and still have regular check-ups although I've been all clear for the last 11 years, have a good read around the following website as it has some fantastic information and advice on diabetic retinopathy:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

Heed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you noblehead I'll do that. Just so strange to not a clue what's happening and in a way feel like part of me is broken and it need not be. Have found some other threads which made me feel a bit better but I wanted to reach out for myself.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Try not to worry Heed and see what the hospital Ophthalmology Clinic have to say, but don't be frightened to ask any questions about your eyes and the condition when you are being seen by the Ophthalmologist.

Good luck and hope all works out well.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there heed :)

I have been diabetic for 43 years ( this august) and first had diagnosis of background retinopathy about 25 years ago.
it did not progress at all for another 10 years following this diagnosis.
i have had some laser ( 7 hits) in 2002 and a further 6 hits in 2012.

Progress is happening all the time in treatment.
I am currently using this as a preventative treatment for it progressing www.noctura.com
it is a mask worn at night
I self fund right now as it is currently going through NICE approval stage 3

I still drive everywhere.

Reactions: 4 people

Heed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks himtoo. Nice to hear that its not maybe all that bad. Just a bit of shock, I felt like I'd let myself down for this to have happened. Feeling more positive today and will arrange to talk to the doctors next week to find out a bit more.

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My last eye test was graded at R1 - Background retinopathy. Same as about 2 years ago.

Personally I would say, don't worry too much as background retinopathy just means regular checks and does not require any treatment.