1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

returning to work

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by taylor5491, May 15, 2020.

1. taylor5491

taylor5491 · Newbie

Evening, am currently on furlough with my employer. They are gradually starting to unfurlough staff, however have been told I wont be one as I have diabetes and am classed as "vulnerable". Firstly I was told that I was unfurloughed then a less than 24 hours later they said they can't give me a date where I would be allowed back to work even though I have never been given a shielding letter and it was fine for me to work for them before the lockdown! Plus I know people with other conditions that come under the vulnerable category who have been unfurloughed. Advice please???

2. taylor5491

taylor5491 · Newbie

should prob say i'm type 2, have always only taken minimal sick off work (maybe 5 days since i was first diagnosed in 2013)

3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@taylor5491 - Have you actually told them you want to go back?

Is your workplace a hazardous environment or any sort?

4. taylor5491

taylor5491 · Newbie

Yes I was asked initially and said yes I wanted to go back. Then within 24 hours I was told that due to government advice I was not allowed to return. I wouldn't class it as hazardous, plenty of precautions are being made in regards to adhering to social distancing etc. I've never told them that I was concerned or wanted to shield even before lockdown.

5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Perhaps, even if only from your peace of mind you could ask them what they are making their decision upon.

It could be the recent report that something like 25% of deaths where COVID is recorded, the deceased also had diabetes. That information, in the form it was delivered was pretty meaningless, but it could have made them very cautious.

Very frustrating for you, if you are willing and ready to go back.

6. Cdean8780

Cdean8780 Type 2 · Active Member

Contact diabetes uk they sent me a long email with advice. Ultimately we need the government to help us. Especially now its 33% n not 26%.

Attached Files:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook