Reversing the curse!

slimblackman1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone had long term success with completely reversing T2D? If so, would you mind enlightening us newbies?

Best regards

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Has anyone had long term success with completely reversing T2D? If so, would you mind enlightening us newbies?

Best regards
Some things work for some people whilst others have an adverse reaction. I doubt a magic cure for everyone is going to become available in the next few years so whilst we wait, we need to understand what works for ourselves. I term it become an expert in yourself. We all have different tolerances due to lifestyle and environment. I can eat lentils which many cannot. I cannot go anywhere near porridge.

The underlying cause of diabetes is currently being identified in our dna which is a legacy of genetic heritage. Which foods suit us does seem to have some anecdotal correlation to what helped our ancestors thrive. Reliable research results seem hard to find.

I see you are type 2 like me and if I knew the link I could refer to an interesting thread posted a month or so ago that indicated there might be three groups of type 2 diabetics. As I recall it group 3 had a tendency to high blood pressure. I cannot recall what the initial apparent differentiation between the other 2 groups is offhand. Certainly scope for interesting research that could result in life changing future outcomes. At the moment all that seems to indicate is we are all individuals and offer an explaination as to why we are not in complete agreement all the time.

If you can use a meter you are in a strong position to find out what works for you and the people on this forum can give you great advice as you need it on the road to controlling your own diabetes. Take advice but be a leader not a follower. I do strongly suspect however that for the best outcomes you will need to be on a healthy diet and make positive decisions about your lifestyle for the rest of your days. Have a great life.

Reactions: slimblackman1

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are All individual, I was one of the very lucky ones. Embraced the low carb high fat way of eating, and lost a lot of weight while keeping my blood sugar numbers in the non diabetic (I am T2) range. Then after a few years realised nothing was spiking my blood sugars. I still keep a blood sugar meter to hand and do still do random spot test and still they are in the normal range, so consider myself to be in remission from T2. I am vegetarian and feel it must be easer for T2 to follow the LCHF way of eating, and meat eaters seem to have problems with eating to much protein. (but I may be wrong on that point)
My eating habits and likes and dislikes changed in those years when I was restricting to 20g of carbs a day, and now I am not low carbs I still choose low carb food options from choice not necessity.
So this way of eating won't work for everyone, but it has worked for me. I would advise that its worth trying and if its just not working for you then medication is available to help keep you healthy.