1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

RH and how it affected my pregnancy

Discussion in 'Reactive Hypoglycemia' started by Aestire, May 4, 2019.

1. Aestire

Aestire Don't have diabetes · Active Member

So, I wanted to share my story because when I was looking for testimonials on women with RH and how it affected their pregnancies- I found nothing!
    So! I worked really hard to gain weight and this was particularly difficult because I had nothing sickness my entire pregnancy. I felt like I'd take one step forward and two steps back every time I ate. I couldn't keep hardly anything down, but I HAD TO, and even after I puked, I knew I needed to eat AGAIN because if I didn't, my blood sugar and unborn baby would suffer for it. My boy was growing alright, but he was born on the small side (5lbs 12.8oz) and I kknnoowww it was because of my inability to gain much weight during pregnancy. I've always struggled with weight gain and even though I gained about 30 pounds, ten went to my a$$ and hips, 5 to my breasts, and baby and belly got the rest. I lost all but ten pounds just a week after delivery, and even though he was born small, he was healthy and has been gaining weight appropriately since.
    During labor, they didn't want me to eat (but I had already been given food and brought snacks in case I needed snacks. I wasn't taking no for an answer. It should be noted that I get esophageal spasms for whatever reason and this caused me to vomit numerous times during labor. I also suffer from light sensitivity and wore stylish sun glasses during delivery. Anyway: I ate and currently eat every time my son eats to keep up with giving him nutrition and making sure there's enough for myself too. I check my blood sugar regularly because if I'm low, it's a safe bet my boy will be low at his next feed as feedings are every 2-3 hours which lines up with my BS drop time during an attack.
    Needless to say, some days I will not eat as I should've and it will make me irritable, during these times I request my significant other step in and let me take a break to eat so I don't turn into the devil. I make my own lactation cookies because I need to modify recipes to have less/no sugar, which has been fun.
    So to anyone who wants an idea of what it has been like, it wasn't and isn't easy, but what is? I hope my story helps anyone looking for details on pregnancy with RH and I welcome others to share their own stories with me.

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi @Aestire. I’m a retired Midwife and I can tell you with confidence that your baby was and is not affected at all by your lack of food or low blood sugars. As a species, your body will sacrifice the maternal health for the offspring so don’t fret about being low.

There is also a big difference between a five pounder, growth restricted baby and a five pound well developed baby.

It sounds like you had a condition called hyperemesis gravidarum (fancy name for sickness of pregnancy). It’s a horrid thing to go through and I’m glad you got through it.

One final thing...YOU ROCK! So many women choose not to breastfeed their babies* and you are doing the very best for your son.

*as in being given the information that artificial formula is very sub standard and can cause illness but choose it anyway. Not women who would rather breastfeed but don’t.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook