RH and how it affected my pregnancy

Aestire

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
So, I wanted to share my story because when I was looking for testimonials on women with RH and how it affected their pregnancies- I found nothing!
So! I worked really hard to gain weight and this was particularly difficult because I had nothing sickness my entire pregnancy. I felt like I'd take one step forward and two steps back every time I ate. I couldn't keep hardly anything down, but I HAD TO, and even after I puked, I knew I needed to eat AGAIN because if I didn't, my blood sugar and unborn baby would suffer for it. My boy was growing alright, but he was born on the small side (5lbs 12.8oz) and I kknnoowww it was because of my inability to gain much weight during pregnancy. I've always struggled with weight gain and even though I gained about 30 pounds, ten went to my a$$ and hips, 5 to my breasts, and baby and belly got the rest. I lost all but ten pounds just a week after delivery, and even though he was born small, he was healthy and has been gaining weight appropriately since.
During labor, they didn't want me to eat (but I had already been given food and brought snacks in case I needed snacks. I wasn't taking no for an answer. It should be noted that I get esophageal spasms for whatever reason and this caused me to vomit numerous times during labor. I also suffer from light sensitivity and wore stylish sun glasses during delivery. Anyway: I ate and currently eat every time my son eats to keep up with giving him nutrition and making sure there's enough for myself too. I check my blood sugar regularly because if I'm low, it's a safe bet my boy will be low at his next feed as feedings are every 2-3 hours which lines up with my BS drop time during an attack.
Needless to say, some days I will not eat as I should've and it will make me irritable, during these times I request my significant other step in and let me take a break to eat so I don't turn into the devil. I make my own lactation cookies because I need to modify recipes to have less/no sugar, which has been fun.
So to anyone who wants an idea of what it has been like, it wasn't and isn't easy, but what is? I hope my story helps anyone looking for details on pregnancy with RH and I welcome others to share their own stories with me.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Aestire. I’m a retired Midwife and I can tell you with confidence that your baby was and is not affected at all by your lack of food or low blood sugars. As a species, your body will sacrifice the maternal health for the offspring so don’t fret about being low.

There is also a big difference between a five pounder, growth restricted baby and a five pound well developed baby.

It sounds like you had a condition called hyperemesis gravidarum (fancy name for sickness of pregnancy). It’s a horrid thing to go through and I’m glad you got through it.

One final thing...YOU ROCK! So many women choose not to breastfeed their babies* and you are doing the very best for your son.

*as in being given the information that artificial formula is very sub standard and can cause illness but choose it anyway. Not women who would rather breastfeed but don’t.

Reactions: ringi