Rheumatism arthritis push up blood glucose?

fluffyjacky

Hi everyone

Been researching about rheumatism and how it affects BG as have been suffering from RA in the past 6 months as well as struggling to control BG - been to hospital diabetic clinic several times in the last 6 months and they reduced my background insulin???? they said one time my BG too many irregularities, and then other time said maybe high due to the hormone cortisol, then its something else.

Think my current Ha1bc is 10 thereabout.

Always wake up in morning with BG 14 and I m now lethargic.

Perhaps i m such an idiot to follow their advice and reduce background insulin of Lantus to 11 unit a day (from 13) about three months ago. I woke up this morning thinking 'hang on I m a muppet... they are not expert because they are not diabetic themselves'...problem is I ve been pestering previous hospital for a insulin pump and they always fobbed me off so I switched to this hospital which I felt was so much better more supportive, and they suggested monitoring me first before consider me for pump.... and I ve been seeing this diabetic nurse on regular appts to try and resolve this high BG. Will see the Dr in Nov. I m tempted to wait til then and if my Ha1bc is higher than before, then its obv the nurse is not doing her job.

Sorry to waffle just feeling very isolated in this, and frustrated about my RA (rhuem arth) and if its contributing the high BG, and if so, that would mean i need to take anti inflammatory medications for this to control the inflammation, THEN sort out the BG.

Like my DAFNE training tells us, when ill/infection push up our background insulin. I suggested this to the nurse cos of my RA and she said best not.

Maybe I need someone to kick me and tell me to take control of it myself without waiting for professional advice.

Any thoughts?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You don't say why they reduced your basal insulin from 13u to 11u.

Basal needs do change and in 3 months a lot can happen, having done the DAFNE course you should already have the skills to basal test and adjust your own insulin but understand your hesitant to do so if under the supervision of your DSN, could you not ring the clinic up today and ask to speak with one of the DSN's and say your waking bg levels are in double digits.