Rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes

I am waiting to see a rheumatologist about the arthritis in my hands. My blood sugars are usually well controlled but for the 3 months iv been trying to get to see someone they have been rather high and my hand are swollen and painful, has anyone else had this problem? Many thanks

• Hug
Reactions: Pipp

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Arthritis and diabetes have a lot in common. Almost half of all adults with diabetes—47%—also have arthritis. People with arthritis have a 61% higher risk of developing diabetes than those without this joint disease. Source: Arthritis Foundation.

• Agree
Reactions: filly and Omar51

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Arthritis and diabetes have a lot in common. Almost half of all adults with diabetes—47%—also have arthritis. People with arthritis have a 61% higher risk of developing diabetes than those without this joint disease. Source: Arthritis Foundation.

I have arthritis in my knees, probably other parts of my body too. My diabetes numbers are in the non diabetic range. I am pre for over 13 years. Since my diabetes is well in control and I don’t take any medication, probably that’s one of the reasons my arthritis doesn’t hurt that much. Once in a while when I have pain, I take Arthritis Tylenol.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am waiting to see a rheumatologist about the arthritis in my hands. My blood sugars are usually well controlled but for the 3 months iv been trying to get to see someone they have been rather high and my hand are swollen and painful, has anyone else had this problem? Many thanks
Hi Pat Mitchell-Firth

I am in a similar position to yourself. I have significant arthritis in my hands. I have Type One Diabetes. Both Type One and RA are autoimmune conditions so it is not unusual for them to go together

When my arthritis is playing up my sugars are usually higher. In addition I have had steroids to manage a flare-ups. This also raises my sugar.

I hope you manage to see a Rheumatologist soon and get started on some treatment

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening @Pat Mitchell-Firth and welcome.

Please be aware, you probably are, that arthritis without further qualification is a broad term which simply means joint inflammation. In speech it is sometimes used interchangeably with osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis. The latter is due to the mechanical wear of joints and occurs with or without diabetes.

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease in which the body's own immune system attacks the body's joints. Are you type 1 diabetic? As @h884 says, RA sometimes develops with type 1 diabetes.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Evening @Pat Mitchell-Firth and welcome.

Please be aware, you probably are, that arthritis without further qualification is a broad term which simply means joint inflammation. In speech it is sometimes used interchangeably with osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis. The latter is due to the mechanical wear of joints and occurs with or without diabetes.

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease in which the body's own immune system attacks the body's joints. Are you type 1 diabetic? As @h884 says, RA sometimes develops with type 1 diabetes.
I am pleased that you clarified this. Whenever people say 'arthritis', I ask if they are referring to osteo arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, the same way that when people refer to 'diabetes' my question is if they are talking about type 2 or type 1 diabetes. Two different diseases in both cases.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am pleased that you clarified this. Whenever people say 'arthritis', I ask if they are referring to osteo arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, the same way that when people refer to 'diabetes' my question is if they are talking about type 2 or type 1 diabetes. Two different diseases in both cases.
And then there are other types of arthritis. I'm currently being investigated for spondyloarthritis.
In Dutch, the general word for all those different forms, plus some other conditions is 'reuma'. Is there such a general term for everything that's treated by a rheumatologist in English?
Just like with diabetes, they're different conditions, but there's also overlap, and someones experiences with one type can be relevant for people with a different type.
I do not have trouble with my hands usually, but if your hands are more swollen and painful than usual for you, there may be some inflammation going on. And all types of inflammation can raise blood glucose, so it's possible there's a connection.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And then there are other types of arthritis. I'm currently being investigated for spondyloarthritis.
In Dutch, the general word for all those different forms, plus some other conditions is 'reuma'. Is there such a general term for everything that's treated by a rheumatologist in English?
Evening @Antje77. How interesting! An umbrella term that is used in every day English speech to cover the symptoms of pain and swelling in joints and soft tissues is rheumatism. Looks as though both terms are derived from the same Greek root.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening @Antje77. How interesting! An umbrella term that is used in every day English speech to cover the symptoms of pain and swelling in joints and soft tissues is rheumatism. Looks as though both terms are derived from the same Greek root.
Looks like it. But is rheumatism a commonly used word in everyday language like 'reuma' is for the Dutch when referring to their own condition, regardless of the specific type?
Comparing to diabetes again, I just mention having diabetes usually, not specifying the type unless relevant in the conversation. And just in case my MRI next month will give me a diagnosis of axial spondyloarthiritis, I'll likely refer to it a 'reuma' in everyday conversations in Dutch, unless more specific information is relevant. But how does this work in English? 'Rheumatism' sounds rather odd in my ears, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: LivingLightly

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks like it. But is rheumatism a commonly used word in everyday language like 'reuma' is for the Dutch when referring to their own condition, regardless of the specific type?
Comparing to diabetes again, I just mention having diabetes usually, not specifying the type unless relevant in the conversation. And just in case my MRI next month will give me a diagnosis of axial spondyloarthiritis, I'll likely refer to it a 'reuma' in everyday conversations in Dutch, unless more specific information is relevant. But how does this work in English? 'Rheumatism' sounds rather odd in my ears, but I'm not sure.
It seems to me the term rheumatism is less common now than it once was. Not so long ago, people stoically dismissed their aches and pains as rheumatism if they hadn't seen or didn't want to trouble their GP for a diagnosis.

These days, sufferers are more likely to refer to joint pain, swelling or stiffness as arthritis without necessarily specifying the type. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Melgar and Antje77

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aha! @Antje77. I gather from yesterday's comments on the What have you eaten today? thread (Low carb forum) that your MRI scan revealed a cervical herniated disc?

If so, in everyday English speech, a herniated disc and a prolapsed disc (the two conditions are lumped together) would both be described as a slipped disc.
Hope this helps

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Aha! @Antje77. I gather from yesterday's comments on the What have you eaten today? thread (Low carb forum) that your MRI scan revealed a cervical herniated disc?

If so, in everyday English speech, a herniated disc and a prolapsed disc (the two conditions are lumped together) would both be described as a slipped disc.
Hope this helps
Wow, how thoughtful to remember this thread and come back here to explain more on how things are described in English! I speak fluently diabetic in English (to the point of having to search for the right terms in my own language, I spend too much time on here), other subjects are harder. :hilarious:

And yes, it did reveal two bilateral herniated/prolapsed disks (C4/C5 and C5/C6, and a less clear bulging in C6/C7).
An earlier X-ray showed some issues in my lumbar spine as well, won't even try to translate. More worried about this than about my neck, the neck is improving a lot and has only been a short standing problem, the lower back issues have been there for years.
No sign of inflammation, so I've now made an appointment with a PT, hopefully he will have some ideas. :)

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, people often refer to it as rheumatism, or 'my rheumatics'! The umbrella term a lot of rheumatologists use is 'inflammatory arthritis', which covers most of the different types of arthritis under the auto immune umbrella! But lots of people, who don't even have inflammatory arthritis, refer to osteoarthritis joint pains as rheumatism! Sorry to poke my nose in, rheumatology is my job lol.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to poke my nose in, rheumatology is my job lol.
Well, poking your nose in is what forums are about, there wouldn't be a forum if no-one poked their nose in! :hilarious:

Too bad it looks like my issues aren't inflammatory after all, despite having all the signs (more pain in the second half of the night, morning stiffness, great response to NSAID's, no trouble with exercise (except walking and standing up for an extent of time), very little signs of mechanical causes except for the X-rays and MRI) or I'd have asked you more questions!

If rheumatology is your job, you must be aware of the importance of keeping records straight and updated. Your profile shows you as being T2, and it looks like you've had a rediagnosis to T1. With everyone poking their nose in on everything on the forum, it may be a good idea to update your profile. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: aylalake and filly

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, poking your nose in is what forums are about, there wouldn't be a forum if no-one poked their nose in! :hilarious:

Too bad it looks like my issues aren't inflammatory after all, despite having all the signs (more pain in the second half of the night, morning stiffness, great response to NSAID's, no trouble with exercise (except walking and standing up for an extent of time), very little signs of mechanical causes except for the X-rays and MRI) or I'd have asked you more questions!

If rheumatology is your job, you must be aware of the importance of keeping records straight and updated. Your profile shows you as being T2, and it looks like you've had a rediagnosis to T1. With everyone poking their nose in on everything on the forum, it may be a good idea to update your profile. ;)
That's a good point and I have tried to change my profile but can't do it in the app. I've tried to log in via the browser and it only seems to give me the option to register not log in. I will have another go I promise!

• Optimistic

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a good point and I have tried to change my profile but can't do it in the app. I've tried to log in via the browser and it only seems to give me the option to register not log in. I will have another go I promise!
If you go to 'join', you'll get a page with a form to register. At the top right of the page should be an icon that looks like what I think is a key. This is where you should be able to log in.

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you go to 'join', you'll get a page with a form to register. At the top right of the page should be an icon that looks like what I think is a key. This is where you should be able to log in.
Thanks, sorted it now, I did it by pretending I wanted to post a reply and it asked me to log in!

• Creative

Brettskee

Hi pat was just looking at all the comments and your question of if any one else has this problem I unfortunately have had arthritis for about 35 years due to open surgery’s when I was young on my knees so have had to put up with it for most of my life .my arthritis is called sero negative rheumatoid arthritis probably 10 year ago I started swelling of my fingers and hands I woke up that day no issues with anything walked into my local builders merchants felt sudden pains within 10 mins my hands swelled up massive went to hospital got diagnosed with diabetes fibromyalgia three discs bulges fatty liver non alcoholic fatty liver disease hypercholestademia hyper triglacedemia some kind of essential tremor in my right arm .I actually have never been back work since then I’ve had that many other issues in the last 10 years you wouldn’t believe it .I take a weekly injection called enbrell elrelzi for my arthritis been on that for about 8/9 years I don’t get any swelling at all I have regular bloods done and that keeps my inflammatory markers right down which is great . There is a but once they diagnosed me with fibromyalgia and diabetes and with arthritis I find that all of the consultants blame my conditions on each other not in a great place now with peripheral neuropathy stage 3/4 so cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel spent the last 4 years in severe pain since covid seeing the consultants is a nightmare sorry for long reply thx