Rhubarb

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
I made stewed Rhubarb, which consisted of 3 sticks of Rhubarb and 3 teaspoons of white sugar when cooked it weighed 400 g I intend having the rhubarb in 100 g portions how can I work out how many carbs there are in each portion. Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would hazard a guess at too many looking at this link...

https://www.caloriecount.com/calories-rhubarb-i9310

you probably would have been better weighing the rhubarb and sugar before cooking and then working it out from that although the loss of water weight while cooking may have caused the carbs per 100g to rise. At least I think that's vaguely logical..

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
100g raw rhubarb is 4.5g of carbs...so not awful lot. It is difficult to give you exact answer as it would have been easier if you would have weighed the rhubarb before cooking to get the 'per portion' quantity. But as the carb content is relatively small, I would not worry about it and just work it out with the plain sugar...round it up to next full number and you are not that far off.
I don't have any sugar in house so I cannot work out what 3 teaspoons of sugar might weigh...so I leave to other to work it out for you unless you can do it yourself.
I would questimate you portion is not far off from 7-8 g of carbs...;)

Edit to add...teaspoon of sugar is 4g of carbs...so 3x4= 12...that makes 3g per 100g portion....+ 100g raw rhubarb 4.5 =7.5g and because there is more carbs in cooked portion...hmm..maybe about 8.5g in total?
Under 10g anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made stewed Rhubarb, which consisted of 3 sticks of Rhubarb and 3 teaspoons of white sugar when cooked it weighed 400 g I intend having the rhubarb in 100 g portions how can I work out how many carbs there are in each portion. Thanks

I love rhubarb.

If it's particularly sharp, I ctew it lightly with some sweetener, which helps keep the carbs down.

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
Thank you for your replies the next time I make it I will use sweetener, but it was delicious I had it with 2 Strawberries 15 g of Raspberries and 15 g of Blueberries and 2 tablespoons of thick double cream yummy.

Reefshark64

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Apricots,
I love Rhubarb, I cook mine in a low oven for a couple of hours with grated Ginger, in the blissfully un aware pre diabetes days i used to add Stem Ginger and ginger beer for sweetness, i now use
erythritol adding double cream or Waitrose own Greek yogurt
I also weigh the raw weight and divide by number of portions.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some rhubarb, as I love it, and I have not eaten it since my diagnosis. I try stewing it tonight with vanilla and then eat some of it with kefir made from super fatty, non-pasteurised milk.

Helen444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I stewed some rhubarb with sweetener yesterday and mixed it in to some whipped cream to make a rhubarb fool - yum.