DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is rhubarb good for diebetics I am type two
Diane" you need to try it for yourself and test before and after eating it.

When at home, I have it most mornings, with my yoghurt. I love rhubarb.

Reactions: jjraak

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks will try it I have a few walnuts a handful of blueberry a handful of raspberries and two strawberry with my yourghurt

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I gather it is one of the lowest carbs of the fruits. I really enjoy rhubarb and can’t wait for it to come back into season. I bought and cooked some the other week but it wasn’t so great as it was a kind of out of season variety.

I used a sweetner instead of sugar.

Again I had it with Greek yoghourt which has been a great help to me, having to cut out rice pudding etc.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Depends on how you prepare it. Most recipes I have seen add sugar which then makes it unsuitable for me at least !!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love stewed rhubarb and yoghurt. I eat mine with no sugar/sweetener!

Reactions: kitedoc

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite long ago in the past rhubarb was eaten as a vegetable not as a dessert has anyone here tried it for that

D

Deleted Account

I stick mine in the slow cooker after the usual washing and chopping. I add a little water and some sweetner but not the laxative variety of sweetner.
If you have no slow cooker, you can stew rhubarb (and any other fruit) in the microwave with a bit of water and sweetener.
I find a drizzle of lemon juice and/or some ginger (fresh grated or ground) goes well with roo-boo.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have no slow cooker, you can stew rhubarb (and any other fruit) in the microwave with a bit of water and sweetener.
I find a drizzle of lemon juice and/or some ginger (fresh grated or ground) goes well with roo-boo.
Okay nice touch with the ginger and lemon.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you stew it?

I just cut my rhubarb into chunks about an inch long. Before I put them into the saucepans, I literally just put enough liquid in to just, just cover the bottom of the pan, then add the rhubarb. If it is my own rhubarb, and well into season, I don't add sweetener, but if it's very tart, I add some sweetener, and slowly stew it for a few minutes.

How long you have the pan on the heat depends how whole, or broken down you prefer your rhubarb. Alternatively, you could roast it, or cook it sous vide. Sous vide, it keeps its for, no matter how long it's cooked for.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stick mine in the slow cooker after the usual washing and chopping. I add a little water and some sweetner but not the laxative variety of sweetner.
Which sweetener do you use? I keep Xylitol though only use for one recipe so would like to use it for rhubarb as it does seem to have a short date. Tia

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Which sweetener do you use? I keep Xylitol though only use for one recipe so would like to use it for rhubarb as it does seem to have a short date. Tia
Yesterday I used Truvia. Not in large quantities, in keto ice cream. It worked. Also it got the thumbs up from the family and none of use were negatively affected from the laxative angle.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Btw I used to make rhubarb and strawberry crumble by baking the rhubarb and out of season strawberries with a little sweetner (sugar then) a drizzle of orange juice (suppose a couple tablsp. Low cal squash could be exchanged) until tender in a moderate oven. Was very tasty combo.

Reactions: Listlad

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I like it and at 4.5 gm of carbs per 100 gms it shouldn't spike you too much.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only