Rice & pasta

Chloe_robbo02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is it just me or do the carbs on pasta and rice packets seem very high (56 per 100g) I have to reduce mine ,pasta and rice affect my glucose by dropping them. Is this just me or ...?x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is it just me or do the carbs on pasta and rice packets seem very high (56 per 100g) I have to reduce mine ,pasta and rice affect my glucose by dropping them. Is this just me or ...?x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
Usually the values on the pack are for uncooked weight. Are you weighing before or after eating?

If it's not related to that, the other aspect is that we usually eat rice and pasta with a proteiny, fatty sauce, and this can delay the time in which the body absorbs glucose from the pasta and prolong the duration of it. Many people have experienced this effect. the only way to really work out how to deal with it is to test, test, test, and adjust when you take your insulin accordingly.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The carbs in cooked pasta is around 30g per 100g serving and rice is 20g.

I have to reduce mine ,pasta and rice affect my glucose by dropping them. Is this just me or ...?x

Not sure what you mean, but if you find your postprandial bg levels drop but go high later you should look to splitting your bolus dose, that's what I did on MDI for meals like lasagna, spaghetti bolognese.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The tricky thing I've always found about pasta is getting the right amount of uncooked pasta to make the correct cooked portion size. Some packets do give you an estimate but I've always found that to be way off, I don't have it often enough to do trial and error properly...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most pasta is around 72gCHO/100g uncooked or 30gCHO/100g cooked. Rice is around 77gCHO/100g uncooked. I'm not sure where the 56g value has come from, as that seems to be halfway between the cooked and uncooked percentages. Are you sure you aren't looking at the "per portion" value?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pasta and rice tend to have a slow affect on BG levels, I agree with everyone here in that I'm not sure where you're getting the carbs/100g info from? I can only assume maybe it's those pre-packed microwave pasta pouch type things?

Anyway if you're eating 56g carbs from a pasta dish and inject to cover that amount of carbs, in all likeliness the insulin will start working before the carbs and you'll go low shortly after, but then go high when the insulin runs out and the pasta carbs really kick in - plus you've probably had to treat the low anyway. Split dosing should help, using trial and error - sorry fingers:angelic:

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
The carbs in cooked pasta is around 30g per 100g serving and rice is 20g.

Not sure what you mean, but if you find your postprandial bg levels drop but go high later you should look to splitting your bolus dose, that's what I did on MDI for meals like lasagna, spaghetti bolognese.
reading my DAFNE book on page 74 it say's cooked rice is 3cp or 30grams per 100grams and pasta is the same on page 69. that is what I alway's use.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
yes i agree with slip about sometimes the rice and pasta are slower to kick in. What I do is inject my insulin shortly after eating instead of before the meal. works with me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people