Ridges on toenails

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Been a type 2 for a few years now and on slow release metformin. We had changed my diet and thought everything was going well so stopped with the regular testing. Once I changed my diet etc I started to sleep all night, I don’t have any other symptoms of high blood sugar thirst etc but have noticed what I can only describe as ridges on my toenails. It’ll the tie nail feels uneven and when you look at it’s as I’m the nail is made up of lots of pieces like a snail shell.

Getting an appointment at my gp is near impossible but could it be related to my blood sugar. I have ordered some strips and will start testing again.
Any advice would be appreciated

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @pau1200 .
We can’t really advise, but if you can’t get to GP, why not try a podiatrist / chiropodist? Probably better advice with foot related issues.

Testing blood glucose regularly if not getting regular GP monitoring is good management on a personal level, though.

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will go and see a chiropodist, didn’t think of that.

I think they may be Beaus lines looking at google which may be related to diabetes.
I think back to regular testing for me, I really hate this disease

Reactions: Pipp

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Also need to rule out a fungal infection.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have them, and believe they may be related to my heart issues as well as diabetes. I forgot where I read that, but I think there was some correlation. In my case, you can hide the lines by putting a little vaseline on the toenail; obviously this wont help with any underlying issue, but if you're sick of looking at them, and you're doing your best to fix your health already, it might be an option.

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive ridges on my toe and fingers nails, they also curl - this is because of psoriasis and I’m sure not my diabetes because they’ve been like that since I was 18. Apparently the condition of our nails are a window to lots of health issues so it’s best not to assume it’s down to diabetes

Reactions: pau1200