Rising BG levels

srm100841

After some 6/7 years of double digit BG's I discovered this forum and for the first time became aware of a low carb diet. This was never suggested previously by my local clinic, dietician or diabetic nurse. Incidentally I am a Type 2 and was first diagnosed in 2002 although my symptoms firstly surfaced in 1992.

Within months my levels had halved! For the next 4 years my levels averaged in the upper 5's when my daily carb intake averaged just less than 50 per day. However, over the last 6 - 9 months my levels have gradually crept up to the mid 6's and I my weight has started to increase. Even now I'm not overweight in that I'm 5'9" and about 11.5 stone although my favoured weight is a stone less.

As for medication then I was originally prescribed gliclazide and my dosage increased from 80mgs daily to 320mgs daily pre my low carbing. Now I'm on just 40mgs daily and have been for the past 3 years.

I just don't understand why my BG's are gradually increasing again since my dietary conditions and exercising regime have remained constant. I would mention that over the last year my blood pressure has remained aggravatingly high to the extent that I'm attending my local clinic every 4 weeks or so and my medication is gradually being ramped up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Steve

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully people on the same medications will contribute, in case that is a contributing factor.