1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Rising blood glucose readings

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Frank68, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi please tell us how you get on with testing your meals and what changes you can make to get the results lower.

My cholestral levels have reduced with eating less carbs and switching to full fat products like butter and youghurt. I also feel less hungry and have been able to cut out snacks.

2. Frank68

Frank68 · Member

I am only just getting my head around the whole carb thing. To begin with I only looked at the sugar content within the carb count, now I realise I must take into account the whole of the carb percentage within the food.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Frank68

Frank68 · Member

That's interesting to hear that your cholesterol level has gone down through reducing your carb intake even though you have increased your full fat intake.

4. Geoffno6

Geoffno6 · Well-Known Member

Hi Frank, welcome to the forum. The good news is that your numbers have crept up slowly so the rise has been spotted early so you’re unlikely to have done much/any damage to yourself. Have you being testing before eating and again two hours after to see the effect of different foods. I’m 6 foot and a tad skinny at just over 12 stone so similar to you so you probably need to eat well. I like you was worried about cholesterol levels with all the egg and fat but six months of LCHF hasn’t caused any problems. Let us know your readings before and after different foods, I find any significant quantity of bread, pasta, potato, porridge, cereal, fruit etc or sugars sends my BS into the teens for hours but you’ll only know what effects you by testing. The good news is that as your diet was fairly carb heavy you’ll probably get good results by dropping the carbs. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Only 20% of your cholesterol is dependent on what you eat, your liver makes the other 80%, so dont worry too much. I would (and do) prioritize, and BS would be No1 for me

6. Groundgripper

Groundgripper Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I test before meals then an hour after and finally 2 hours after to see what is happening, I have more or less dumped the carbs just about completely, and over the last few weeks have dropped about 4 kilos in weight, I took a good actual long look in the mirror today at my face, which I rarely do, because there appears to be some old git gets in the way and stares back, anyway I realised that my cheeks look taught and there is no sign of any fat around my face, just a shame the comb over is so bad.
    I have to admit I do get hungry, and I look in the cupboard/ larder and find myself doing the carb/sugar scan on everything, and muttering -no, no, no, no, no, as I desperately try to find anything suitable, and eventually end up with a boiled egg or two which I dip rolled up cold cuts in, you have got to try that one! other than that my cholesterol is reasonably good, but I am still in the serious transition stage from -Oh Yeh Boy, got to have me a really big sandwich and a slice of cake, to the maybe being a bit on the very wary of everything side, I will learn but I have highs and lows of hunger cravings.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frank68

Frank68 · Member

I have only just started on the journey to reduce my blood sugar levels so time will tell. Now I know, I am monitoring my carb intake for various meals and taking a reading just before and two hours after. My first readings yesterday of 4.5 were encouraging before I ate a very low carb omelette but 8 two hours later. The next few weeks will begin to give me a better picture of what is going on and what I should avoid. I assume activity will help to reduce blood sugar levels as well. It was one of the main reasons for getting a dog as she keeps me active as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi Frank - Welocme aboard, and well done for recognising the need for each of us to gain a greater understanding of our condition, and as a result take better control of our health.

In my view, you have taken the most important steps already. Firstly, you have decided to do what you can about your rising blood glucose numbers. You have learned that carbs trump sugar in terms of impacting our blood sugars, and thirdly you have a meter for immediate and personal feedback.

When I was diagnosed, I found the biggest game changer for me was the blood glucose monitor because that helped me shape what worked for me. I was diagnosed with an A1c of 73, totally without any apparent signs or symptoms, and making ready for a big adventure, thousands of miles away from the NHS. Immediately, it was clear I had to be in charge, because I would have no safety net.

Years beforehand, my father had been diagnosed with diabetes, as a result of very high doses of steroids, in an effort to slow the progress of a condition which eventually saw him off. The other condition saw him off, not the diabetes!) Back in the late 80s, he was given test kit, although not nearly as small, comfortable or sophisticated as we have now!, so I already understood the impact of the hour by houir readings.

What my meter did for me, was to give me the immediate feedback I needed, each time I ate, to understand how my body coped with various foods. If the number was too big, I'd eat a bit less of that, or give it up, but if the number was about right, I'd continue with it. My meter also helped remind me from time to time that my body hadn't just been having a laugh with me that day in October 2013. I was returning numbers in the diabetic range. It also helped my partner accept my diagnosis, understand what was going on and accept that things had to be changed a bit. As his was, and is, the main cook in this household, that was important. It's one thing trying to wrangle our bodies into the right place, without having to be on full-time persuasion mode with the person delivering food to the table.

In both my personal experience and watching others on here, many of us fine we have our own, personal rocket fuel foods. For some it's bread (or grains in general), for some it's potatoes, and for some it's plain old sugar. As someone who has never had a sweet tooth, it was a shocker to learn that my most favourite Salsa and Mesquite Kettle Chips weren't doing me any favours. On the upside, where I was spending my big adventure. Those weren't available anyway, so that dealt with that for the next 9 months at least!

Frank, my advice to you would be to take your time. It's up to you how you approach your diet, but my usual view is to take feedback from your meter and only give up what you need to. If you find your body can cope with bread, an apple, chips, or whatever else, then why turn your back on it/them if it's not necessary.

To be fair, over time, I have some things I can now cope very well with, but I just don't bother any more. I have either lost the taste for them, or they're more trouble to prepare than the enjoyment I might garner once in a while.

It's early days for you, so keep asking the questions. Keep recording your blood sugars and what you eat and drink relating to those readings, in a manner you can look back upon. That can just be useful to review over time, should you have a rogue reading, or you go back to try something you haven't had for a long time, and wonder how it went last time.

Good luck with it all. It's a bit of a long haul, but a changed way of eating doesn't have to mean hardship or boring.

9. Geoffno6

Those results aren’t bad. With a base figure of 4.5 and a few peaks which many people (me included) get even when your meal is low carb, you’ll have that Hba1c down in the low 40s or lower. If you’re keen to get an idea of your likely Hba1c the free MySugr app is surprisingly accurate. BTW how is your weight, are you managing to avoid losing more? Keep us posted, we all love a success story!

10. Geoffno6

I forgot to mention, yes exercise seems to work well. I find that hard exercise that really pushes you for a long period of time, like running, can raise your levels, but gentle steady exercise like walking or very short bursts like weights pushes your BG down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

What was in the omelette (apart from the eggs of course) and what did you cook it in (i.e. butter oil?) and no I don't mean a frying pan!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Frank68

Frank68 · Member

Thanks for all the information. I have found it really helpful and am just in the process of going through it to understand things further.

13. Frank68

Frank68 · Member

Thanks for all the information. Since joining the forum I am learning loads so hopefully I will be able to get things under control before too long.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frank68

Frank68 · Member

It was a mushroom omelette so mushrooms, tomatoes, a little Parma ham and three eggs. It was cooked in a non stick pan so very little olive oil just to lubricate the pan.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook