Roddy

Roddy11

Hi I’m type 2 since 2005 and have been ok until last September when I got an infection and had to go on to insulin I went onto freestyle libre and with constant monitoring and the good help of my local diabetes team got back off insulin however I am experiencing very low levels throughout the night as low as 2.4 for 5/6 hours any suggestions please

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m type 2 since 2005 and have been ok until last September when I got an infection and had to go on to insulin I went onto freestyle libre and with constant monitoring and the good help of my local diabetes team got back off insulin however I am experiencing very low levels throughout the night as low as 2.4 for 5/6 hours any suggestions please

Hi Roddy,

Is the Libre saying you are low in the night? Do you have any way of setting an alarm at these times & confirming using a blood test meter.? (To be sure.)

Reactions: ert

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Roddy11

Are you taking any other medication for your diabetes? And what other changes have you made to get your numbers down?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Roddy11, and welcome to the forum!
I am experiencing very low levels throughout the night as low as 2.4 for 5/6 hours any suggestions please
I agree with Jaylee, the sensors can be off so you need to make sure those hypo's are indeed hypo's with a fingerprick.
It would also help to know what medication you are on for your diabetes.

Have you also contacted your team about the low numbers you're seeing?

Reactions: oldgreymare

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Roddy,

Is the Libre saying you are low in the night? Do you have any way of setting an alarm at these times & confirming using a blood test meter.? (To be sure.)

OK, I'll elaborate for you, @Roddy11 . But this by no means "writing off" or undermining the numbers you are seeing during the night.

If you wear a sensor on your arm (as directed.) & tend to sleep on it. This can cause a false low reading?
Users call it a "compression low."
You will need to find out if this is indeed what could be happening. Hence my suggestion of setting an alarm & blood testing at these times with a meter to find out?
I wear my sensor inside my arm partially to avoid this phenomena.

Roddy11

OK, I'll elaborate for you, @Roddy11 . But this by no means "writing off" or undermining the numbers you are seeing during the night.

If you wear a sensor on your arm (as directed.) & tend to sleep on it. This can cause a false low reading?
Users call it a "compression low."
You will need to find out if this is indeed what could be happening. Hence my suggestion of setting an alarm & blood testing at these times with a meter to find out?
I wear my sensor inside my arm partially to avoid this phenomena.

Hi I didn’t realise this I’ll start checking with finger prick to find out it’s only just started happening but maybe since my last change over cheers good call

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I didn’t realise this I’ll start checking with finger prick to find out it’s only just started happening but maybe since my last change over cheers good call

No problems, Roddy. The libre if actually low, can also take a little longer for me to register a rise to normal. I always check against my meter.
If you are seeing these Libre trends as a regular nightly occurrence? Back it up with a blood test.
These sensors in my opinion are good. But still have a little way to go to be categorised "flawless."

By the way, welcome to the forum.