Rogue Hypo

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I went on shift today...only to suffer probably the worst hypo of my life! I came home two hours ago and I am still not on top of this. This is truly humiliating, I made sure I was ready for this shift, only to fall on my face.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry to hear that happened for you... they can certainly make you feel unwell. Has your sugar level come up?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
They can certainly knock you around, leave you feeling like you are still experiencing it well after you get the level back up. Ups the anxiety level too.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
sorry to hear that happened for you... they can certainly make you feel unwell. Has your sugar level come up?
Up again but tending towards 13 and above.

Reactions: KezG

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't get a chance.

Yeh sometimes you just have to act quick. I tend to check most times. My endo has explained though that a hypo is a hypo regardless of the number... it usually means too your sugar is dropping quickly. I never ignore my body when it is giving me warning signals.

slipper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope your on top of it now.
I have new tabs for heart problem, and its playing havoc with my diabetes, and hypos are too common now.
I never go out without some sucrose tablets o jelly babies and a packet of low G I biscuits.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I went on shift today...only to suffer probably the worst hypo of my life! I came home two hours ago and I am still not on top of this. This is truly humiliating, I made sure I was ready for this shift, only to fall on my face.
Hi, I hope you are feeling much better now. I too bad my worst hypo ever on 31st December & found similar feelings of humiliation. I kept crying & saying sorry once my sugars were on the way up. I find it sad that it makes you feel that you are in the wrong.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Are you physically active at work? This makes you more sensitive to insulin and can bring your sugars down.

Please don't blame yourself. Sometimes diabetes just does bizarre things we can't predict, and even at other times we can't be expected to be flawless all the time.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi, I hope you are feeling much better now. I too bad my worst hypo ever on 31st December & found similar feelings of humiliation. I kept crying & saying sorry once my sugars were on the way up. I find it sad that it makes you feel that you are in the wrong.
I planned ahead for the shift, and yet the hypo was truly spectacular! My face, lips and tongue were numb so I could not speak, I thought I was having a stroke!! Rational thought went out the window. A recent blood test displayed high levels of cortisol, which caused concerns. I am being tracked to observe the levels.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Are you physically active at work? This makes you more sensitive to insulin and can bring your sugars down.

Please don't blame yourself. Sometimes diabetes just does bizarre things we can't predict, and even at other times we can't be expected to be flawless all the time.
I try to be optomistic, yet I have actually been cautioned on a shift for being in a hypo. The union had a fit when they heard this!! The individual was advised to resign or face legal action.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I planned ahead for the shift, and yet the hypo was truly spectacular! My face, lips and tongue were numb so I could not speak, I thought I was having a stroke!! Rational thought went out the window. A recent blood test displayed high levels of cortisol, which caused concerns. I am being tracked to observe the levels.
Leslie, I said the exact same thing, that I thought I was having a stroke! Couldn't talk, couldn't move but onwards and upwards now! Keep positive.