Rollercoasters!

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read on a pump website yesterday that you should disconnect your pump if you are going on a rollercoaster because of the g-forces. Does this mean that you can still wear your pump on your person, but just disconnect the tubing? :? The article also said that you should not ride on the "free fall" rides, as most of these have huge electromagnets which interfere with pump functions, this does not affect me - I can't do straight up and down! But I am a rollercoaster junkie :D .

We are going to Orlando in September and I am not sure what the protocol is for pumps and exciting rides, does anyone have any experience or advise that might help me?

Thanks.

semarroy

Hi, we went on every rollercoaster at Thorpe Park last Friday. My son disconnected for each one as advised by our DSN and the attendant looked after it. We did a temp basal of -20% and he stayed in single figures all day. Have fun! We love Universal Studios too.

hails

Hi there, I am also on a pump and LOVE rollercoasters. Thankfully I did florida for two weeks last year before I started on the pump.

I was however told the magnets on the rides (the vast majority are magnetics) will scramble and deem your pump useless if you use it. My nurse suggested going back on pens if I was to go to a theme park but I havnt had to do it yet. I also though maybe taking it off for every ride but they are expensive and would worry who had it and if being in the park and near these rides with it on would affect it

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you both for your very helpful replies. It looks as though I'll be back on MDI for a bit then - I'm not sure I trust someone else with my lovely pump. Ah well, let's go retro!!!! :lol: