Rookie error!!

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So today while I was getting changed I ripped an infusion set out of my leg that was only 15/16hrs old, reservoir obviously nearly full. So instead of drawing up a reservoir & changing an infusion set I decided to just change the infusion set.

I’d been 100% in range over the last 36hrs then today when I was at the gym all of a sudden I started to rocket, pump was giving auto corrective doses & seen as tho I was doing heavy weights I give myself a little bolus to cover the spike. Unfortunately I kept rising & by the time I got home I was 18.5mmol.

Then all of a sudden it hit me, I didn’t fill the cannula & then do the fill option. Basically I just inserted a new infusion site and attached it to my reservoir without thinking.

Moral of the story, don’t cut corners & do the full procedure when swapping infusion sites as you can easily miss a step! So sickening after been 100% in target range for so long

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Every day is a school day. This spectacular outcome means you're not likely to forget important steps in the near future :)

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Every day is a school day. This spectacular outcome means you're not likely to forget important steps in the near future :)

Your right there, it just shows when you skip a few steps how much you can mistakenly forgot. I had 2 snacks after I changed the infusion set, both needed 2.5units each. Usually takes 7-8 units to fill a cannula, so definitely went without insulin for them snacks

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If shared forgetfulness is any consolation, I just forgot to bolus for dinner, there goes my TIR as well :facepalm:.
Luckily it was a relatively low carb meal, but according to my meter it definitely needed more insulin than nothing. Sigh.

Reactions: Maco

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Think I’m going to need to do a full infusion set change from scratch, had my dinner around 8.30pm
& I’m now 16mmol. Not happy with it & it’s now in my head that it’s an infusion problem. Could just because of what I’ve ate but rather be safe than sorry

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did exactly the same in the early days with the pump Maco. If I need to change a cannula now though, I don't always fill a new cartridge, it depends how long it's been in for, and if I suspect a problem with insulin, rather than the cannula site. When I throw out the packaging of the new cannula, that reminds me to fill it, but we all find our own way to remember the essential steps.

Reactions: Maco