running a marathon with type 1

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Finally a morning with no high! Just an all time low! 1.8. Somehow increased to 11.8 at lunch.
Ulp! Bad luck.

My inline reps with the running club last night resulted in a red sub-4 Libre line all night...... despite having my basal rate set to 0% for three 90-minute periods overnight.

It ALWAYS gets me in the night! I need more trial and error practice - it's all error for me right now.

:banghead:

Still, I'm off to the gym in a tick. My bad.......... ;)

Reactions: Type1Bri

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bit of insight into how I approach exercise and insulin https://type1bri.com/running-on-insulin
Really good stuff - thank you!

Trial and error is the way forward. Aside from spontaneous factors (like that unplanned snack with too much insulin) I've got the theory down as to what should work and what to expect from it on an ideal day. If only every factor on every day were identical, I'd be sorted!

Interested to learn you reduce your basal to just 10% of your normal rate - mind you, you run further than I do!

:)

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Finally a morning with no high! Just an all time low! 1.8. Somehow increased to 11.8 at lunch.
Id imagine it would have been a struggle to finish the run that low? when ever i
Really good stuff - thank you!

Trial and error is the way forward. Aside from spontaneous factors (like that unplanned snack with too much insulin) I've got the theory down as to what should work and what to expect from it on an ideal day. If only every factor on every day were identical, I'd be sorted!

Interested to learn you reduce your basal to just 10% of your normal rate - mind you, you run further than I do!

iv never tried using a pump i would be scared to change what im on now but maybe it would be better i just dont know

Reactions: Snapsy and Type1Bri

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
iv never tried using a pump i would be scared to change what im on now but maybe it would be better i just dont know
In my case, getting my pump gave me the confidence to start running, after nearly 30 years of letting my diabetes stop me attempt all sorts of things. I wish I hadn't left it so long!

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
It's all attainable on MDI, I couldn't get it to work but I know many who do

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's all attainable on MDI
I'm sure you're right. But that inner peace of mind and massively-reduced worry are what my pump has given me. My own experience of hypos on MDI made any hope of regular exercise a fantasy.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I'm sure you're right. But that inner peace of mind and massively-reduced worry are what my pump has given me. My own experience of hypos on MDI made any hope of regular exercise a fantasy.
Same here to be fair

Reactions: Snapsy