Running and balancing carbs

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am diet controlled and have recently taken up running working through the nhs c25k. When I was still trying to lose weight I ran fasted but now I am at goal I have found a banana an hour before and another 30 mins before running makes the run much much enjoyable. I run low and this ends me around 5.5 after the run. I had got to the point where I was struggling and hating every run and I know that if you enjoy something you are more likely to carry on with it. It is the only thing that is working to tone me up and get rid of the stubborn belly fat so want to carry on.

Having said that I am doing my first proper 5k race on Saturday night at 8pm. I have 5 park runs under my belt and now run 5k 3 times a week. On Monday I went out after a normal eating day, lchf, for a run at 8pm and really really struggled despite having the 2 bananas. I hated every minute and nearly gave up half way.

Has anybody got any advice or can tell me what you eat/what bg you are before a 5k or 10k. I know it is personal to everybody but it will give me some ideas.