Running my own tests!

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I've changed my exercise regime and got to wondering how it effects my blood sugar levels.
So, I'm going to record the data here and modify the sequence/timing of the exercise and see how my blood sugar levels are affected. I'll be sticking to the same food and thus trying to keep everything else equal.
The aim also is to have a 2hr gap betwen the first and last blood sugar test.

One reason I am doing this is because I am curious to see if eating before the exercise actually promotes a higher blood sugar level later. I also want to see if leaving the exercise till later can prevent the blood sugar level from going so high.

TEST #1
4:30pm - Blood Sugar = 5.7 (not eaten since 11:30am)
4:30pm - Evening dinner (4 sausages, 3 small potatoes, peas, sweetcorn and a dollop of butter).
5:00pm - 4 mile bike ride around local housing estate (quite hard), 15mins duration.
5:15pm - Blood Sugar = 3.4
6:30pm - Blood Sugar = 8.5

The following didn't expect to record:-
8:00pm - 1off Rye cake (0.1g sugars) & tiny bit of cheese.
8:45pm - Blood Sugar = 6.6
10:00pm - 2 mile easy bike ride to meet wife from work.
10:15pm - Blood Sugar = 4.8
11:15pm - Blood Sugar = 6.6

Next test in a day or so (weather permitting)

Discussion, suggestions, hints & tips most are welcome.

Ian.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbleblower

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I'm going to record the data here and modify the sequence/timing of the exercise and see how my blood sugar levels are affected. I'll be sticking to the same food and thus trying to keep everything else equal.

One reason I am doing this is because I am curious to see if eating before the exercise actually promotes a higher blood sugar level later. I also want to see if leaving the exercise till later can prevent the blood sugar level from going so high.
Hi @Ian-J , this looks like you're building up data on your results rather than a discussion thread on the forum.
You might like to use the blog option to do this, as the threads are mainly used to discuss things.

to start a blog, click 'blogs' on the top of the page and then create a new blog.
That way it will also be easier to find again for yourself :)
You can just copy and paste your post into your blog.
upload_2021-10-19_20-17-1.png

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Actually, discussion is welcome. I'll edit the first post if I can to say such....is that ok?

Reactions: chani111

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've changed my exercise regime and got to wondering how it effects my blood sugar levels.

TEST #1
4:30pm - Blood Sugar = 5.7 (not eaten since 11:30am)
4:30pm - Evening dinner (4 sausages, 3 small potatoes, peas, sweetcorn and a dollop of butter).
5:00pm - 4 mile bike ride around local housing estate (quite hard), 15mins duration.
5:15pm - Blood Sugar = 3.4
6:30pm - Blood Sugar = 8.5

Next test in a day or so (weather permitting)

Discussion, suggestions, hints & tips most are welcome.

Ian.

The interesting question do you get a second spike or long spike after the 6:30 PM -8.5 , circa 4 to 5 Hrs later with that much protein and fat from 4 sausages.

The quick hard ride will only hit the fast acting Carbs, that why the 3.4 straight after

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'll test that.....meantime, it's 8:45pm now and my blood sugar is 6.6.

Edit: I have update post #1 with additional data.

Ian.

Last edited:

chani111

I would be interested in your findings too. I am trying to find ways to exercise a bit. I have invested in a seated bouncer. I should explain I use a wheelchair. Will try some of your testing ideas thanks for sharing

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
TEST #2
4:30pm - Blood Sugar = 4.1 (not eaten since 11:30am)
4:40pm - Evening dinner (home made veg soup, 2xmini pork pies, 1 slice bread).
5:40pm - Blood Sugar = 8.5
5:45pm - 4 mile bike ride around local housing estate (quite hard), 15mins duration.
5:50pm - Blood Sugar = 6.2
6:50pm - Blood Sugar = 8.5

Ian.