Running the Great Manchester Run

s230787

I have signed myself up for the Great Manchester Run, 10km to raise money for Diabetes UK.

I have never been a runner, but started last year and loved it. So this year i'm going for it! (my friend has joined me too)

If anyone has any tips or advice for me I would very much appreciate it. So far i'm comfortable with a hilly 4 miler, so not doing too bad. the things i'm worrying about on the day mainly is sugar levels of course. Aim to start on a hearty fryup (low carb) with maybe a big treat by ways of a slice of granary bread, toasted, thick with butter (yuuuuuum) or a milky coffee. My sugars are very sensitive, 150ml of milk can raise me 4mmol! If anyone has any better suggestions i'd be interested to hear them. I usually cant handle carbs at all in a morning.

I'll be running with a camel pack so enough room for my testing kit and some dextrose tablets (just in case) but so far on my training my sugars, after a low carb breakfast (eggs and bacon), have gone up to about 8mmol during the run (30mins in and sweating like a right un) but then back down to 4-5mmol afterwards.

As I said any advice would be much appreciated and of course if anyone would like to sponsor me (cheeky ask and had to be done :D) for such a great cause you can do so here http://www.justgiving.com/TeamFoxyPratt2012

Elc1112

Go you! I'm not much of a runner myself, but I have done the London to Brighton bike ride for the two years

I tried to factor my diabetes into my training plans. I built up the distances gradually, introduced hills etc. Worked out what worked well for me with regards to food - something that kept my sugars stable but didn't give me cramp half way through the ride! I normally have a banana beforehand, or sometimes a bowl of porridge (couple of hours before I go out). I also take lucozades and/or dextrose tablets with me. It's fairly easy to do this cycling, not sure about running though...

My sugars often drop a few hours after I cycle, so I try and have some carbs when I get back home (occasionally treat myself to a cheeky ice cream if and when I stop for a break!).

Good luck with the run and for the training!

Em