Running

Garyg 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, have been on insulin (long acting once in the morning) just over a month and would like to start running again but am worried about my bsl going too low especially if I'm out on my own, should I have a minimum bsl before I start and how many carbs should I eat during my run? Thanks.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am sure you have heard it before but "we are all different".
So finding what works for you is trial and error.
One person's "minimum blood sugar" could be someone else's "too high to exercise blood sugar".

But don't let that put you off running.
My advice would be to aim for a blood sugar around 7 or 8, take it easy the first few times, carry hypo treatment with you, do lots of testing before and after (our blood sugars can drop over the next 24 hours), adjust and have fun.

One thing I have done is to put a small amount of juice or fruit squash in my water when exercising. I find this easier to maintain my levels than stopping for a snack.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, have been on insulin (long acting once in the morning) just over a month and would like to start running again but am worried about my bsl going too low especially if I'm out on my own, should I have a minimum bsl before I start and how many carbs should I eat during my run? Thanks.

Hi there, as In Response has said it is generally trial and error. I run a lot and my glucose levels are rarely in the 7 or 8s so for me that would require a fair amount of carbs before starting a run and I doubt I would be able to achieve it. This WAS the advice given by my Diabetes team though on diagnosis. Now (after MANY experiments), I run whenever I want to as long as my levels are above 4. Depending on the length of a run and how hard I am going for it, my glucose levels either drop or go up so if I'm starting a run in the 4s I may well have a banana or something before it, if I start in the 6s then I don't for example! (Pretty normal and peculiar to ME). I always take my testing stuff (plus libre) with me, and a few glucose tablets just in case. It really is a hard question to answer because many others who start a run with levels below a certain range DO go hypo so the above advice (to start off with) is good advice. Have a go & be prepared, you will soon find what regime is best for you. What are your general levels like at the moment, I see you are on long acting once a day only so that may help rather than having to factor in bolus as well. x

Last edited: