Rye Bread

New_Planet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nothing
I have been told that Rye bread has a much lower Glycemic index. Is this true ? I buy rye bread from Lidl

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
For me the main value of low GI foods is if my insulin system can dispose of the BG fast enough to cope with the food dumping glucose into my system and hence I am able to head off spikes! To this end, I would try the experiment and see if it spikes you excessively or not1

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rye Bread does have a much lower GI than White bread, but it is still Carbohydrate so ultimately will cause your BG to rise, and require an Insulin response.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I find rye bread tastes better, and has a better GI

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have been told that Rye bread has a much lower Glycemic index. Is this true ? I buy rye bread from Lidl

It does have a lower gi value, carb wise it's much the same as other breads.

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are other breads which are lower in carbs such as HiLo which has 5g of carb per slice, you can get it in Sainsbury's. Another one is Lovelife which is also quite low in carbs. You can pick this up in Asda and other supermarkets but as with both these breads they are not widely in demand so not all supermarkets stock them on a regular basis and when they do they usually only hold small stocks. Burgen is quite good too and more readily available.

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry my mistake again, it's not LoveLife that's low in carbs, it's Livelife and has only 3.8g of carb per slice. It has less wheat flour as they use vegetable protein flours instead. It has a different taste but is better in my view when toasted. You can get at Waitrose.