1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Rye Bread

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by New_Planet, Jan 1, 2017.

1. New_Planet

New_Planet Type 2 · Newbie

I have been told that Rye bread has a much lower Glycemic index. Is this true ? I buy rye bread from Lidl

2. CollieBoy

CollieBoy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For me the main value of low GI foods is if my insulin system can dispose of the BG fast enough to cope with the food dumping glucose into my system and hence I am able to head off spikes! To this end, I would try the experiment and see if it spikes you excessively or not1

3. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Rye Bread does have a much lower GI than White bread, but it is still Carbohydrate so ultimately will cause your BG to rise, and require an Insulin response.

4. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, I find rye bread tastes better, and has a better GI

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

It does have a lower gi value, carb wise it's much the same as other breads.

6. birchy66

birchy66 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There are other breads which are lower in carbs such as HiLo which has 5g of carb per slice, you can get it in Sainsbury's. Another one is Lovelife which is also quite low in carbs. You can pick this up in Asda and other supermarkets but as with both these breads they are not widely in demand so not all supermarkets stock them on a regular basis and when they do they usually only hold small stocks. Burgen is quite good too and more readily available.

7. birchy66

Sorry my mistake LoveLife bread is a Waitrose brand.

8. birchy66

Sorry my mistake again, it's not LoveLife that's low in carbs, it's Livelife and has only 3.8g of carb per slice. It has less wheat flour as they use vegetable protein flours instead. It has a different taste but is better in my view when toasted. You can get at Waitrose.

9. twistnflat

twistnflat · Member

Are you sure it is 100% rye as many rye breads have wheat in them?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook