sacked due to mood swing brought on by high sugar

moonstone

I reckon about 50% of the times that I'm high I get irritable. I too was on my way to a disciplinary about my "communication issues" before diagnosis - I was on a "performance action plan". I got it torn up afterwards of course when my employers realised that I was in fact perfectly normal, on insulin. I was also dealing with a new outsourced unit who were incompetent and lied constantly and I had to take all the complaints from the screaming clients, plus it was busier than it had ever been in the department's history so it was the perfect storm. I never called anyone names though - but only just!! Because I'm aware that swearing at a colleague can be considered gross misconduct. However, when you add in all the other factors you've mentioned and the Disability Discrimination Act, then you do indeed have a case - not for constructive dismissal as someone said (you'd have to resign for that to be the case, not be fired) but for unfair dismissal instead, as the ex HR director pointed out.

To be honest, your mum should have got herself signed off sick, but it's done now. I hope things work out. Please be very aware that all court cases are extraordinarily stressful - more than you could possibly imagine, if you've never gone through it - and your mum needs to take that into account when deciding whether it's worth putting herself through this at this delicate point in her life. Sometimes you win by losing.

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While I cannot condone the way that your mother's employers dealt with her problem, I find it difficult to believe that her irritability was caused by her persistently high blood glucose levels. I think it is much more likely that her depression and stress were responsible for the high glucose levels. It is difficult to know whether the chicken or egg came first. Like Gjimmy, I find that I suffer irritability and loss of inhibition when I have hypos, and that I swear lke a trooper at these times.
I think that your mother was very badly treated and probably has a good case to present to an employment tribunal.

XAN

Thanks for all your kind helpful comments

Mums sugars of late have gone from 2. something to 20+ in a matter of an hour or two and the reverse has also happened.

Mum also suffers with blood pressure and has been getting weekday nose bleeds since the office move the managers were aware these were brought on by blood pressure which was brought on by stress. We noticed after a month or two that these gushers happened almost daily sometimes several times a day, but only on work days.

Some one asked about the retirement
that offer came about two months after the office move and was withdrawn the day of the argument.

Some one also said about being signed off sick Mum was signed off before ay disciplinary letter was sent and was off sick from the day of the argument last month to the day of dismisal.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
There is a lot more detail to this, but I cannot really go into too many specifics, as it is this is rather lengthy!

Not the same thing I know, but my daughter who suffers from Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease and has a professional position, was diagnosed with post natal depression after the birth of her first child in her 30s. Having transferred just a few months to a new dept before maternity leave, and only able to take 3 mths leave, when she returned to work - her colleague had left and was not replaced and she was presented with double the workload. Without going into more details, after several months and authorised post natal depression leave and still no understanding and support, he son being sick and in and out of hospital, yet she did not take time off. During a further lack of support or any understanding and then an incident caused by her boss, she simply could not stand any more. Her new boss had never taken time to meet her or get to know her, yet was quick to make unfair judgement upon her and not offering any to support or advise her.

It is also worth mentioning that she has been with the organisation for around 7 years before transfer and never had any problems prior to this, also received high accolades from prior departmental heads!

Upon the meeting with her boss, designed to discuss some procedures towards a new work load she was given, before she had a chance to open her mouth, she was told that if she did not take the work on she was organisational policy, even though she never once mentioned that she would not take it! The outcome of this was just too much for her and I advised her to speak to HR - they put her in touch with the Union about it, they suggested a meeting with my daughter, her boss and a member of HR as a neutral party, as a result of this intervention she was referred to work related Stress Related Consultant in Harley Street, who advised her that she had rights due to her thyroid condition and was entitled to ask for reduced hours if she so wished.

However, the point being is, that since the last incident and seeing the Consultant her boss's attitude has changed entirely, saying that she had not realised that my daughter's baby had been ill. He has now been diagnosed as lactose intolerant and has been referred to a paedetrician for possible coliac disease - I forgot to mention during his illness he was hospitalised overnight on several occasions, my daughter stayed with him and taking work with her whilst doing so - that is how dedicated she is, and yet she was not offered any support at work. The stress is now so much less for her and she feels able to take time if her son is sick, hopefully this will not be necessary, but the shere knowledge that she can has helped tremendously. It seems that bosses will take liberties and do not always understand employees rights, employees do have rights and sometimes it takes a big jolt for them to realise this and to read up on the facts on how to deal with employee stress and illness. Obviously, we all know that some people will take advantage of this, but it is for the organisation and its management to learn to spot the difference.

All the best to your mother, judging by the facts it would seem she has 'right' on her side, but she needs a bit of 'might' - did she speak to her HR? It might be worth her either doing so or having a third party such as CAB support her in a meeting with them. Also to check out more information on http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/index.htm

Apologies for the longwindeness of this. It just makes me so angry when hardworking well meaning people are treated unfairly, and there are so many people who unjustly try to work the system and get away with it :x I hope this example gives her some hope!

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Your Mum can't lose! You either get what you want through the legal channels (and believe me the legal system is full of scum-I had 6 reasons I could of died after a motorcycle accident yet got no compensation) but at worst she is out of a very unsympathetic environment at work. I understand she still has the grief of being a widow to contend with but she can now do that without the pressure of having to work with selfish inconsiderate I'll say people as it's a public forum. In the words of an old song "anger is an energy" so persuade her to channel the anger etc she feels about this into looking after herself so that she proves those people wrong. You need to be alert and fit to persue a legal battle (from personal experience) so look at the positive she's out of a stressful situation and with better care she'll be better equipped to fight her corner-good luck!