1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Safety of Teflon (PTFE) non-stick pans and PFOA?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by pdmjoker, Dec 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pdmjoker

pdmjoker Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hello!

I've seen some reports online about Teflon (PTFE) non-stick pans and PFOA which is used to produce them being a health concern. (I gather if Teflon gets above 260C it can breakdown into other chemicals.)

This page:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/teflon-and-perfluorooctanoic-acid-pfoa.html

states that Teflon isn't suspected of causing cancer. What about other health problems?

We all know how official establishment advice can be wrong - anyone have any useful info, please?

Many thanks! :)

2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not really, but I have been cooking with this fry pan for a fair few years with no ill effects.

[​IMG]

3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

BBC4 Storyville, Poisoning America, The Devil We Know. A documentary I saw a few weeks ago. About DuPont, pollution, cancer and birth defects. Still available on iPlayer.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. pdmjoker

pdmjoker Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Are you sure? ;)

Thank you! PFOA (or C8) looks worth avoiding!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

It's everywhere. I'm just glad glad that I invested in enamelled cast iron.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook